Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default new page

I have put a new page on the web site dealing with the use of a hook tool.
Warning: the video clips can be a long time loading.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Darrell

Thanks for the video clips, they take 5 seconds or less for me to have
you turning and up to 25 seconds to totally load, as always very
impressive to see how fast it loads.

I have been experimenting with some hook tools, to see if making the
bevel on the inside or outside made much of a difference, also tried to
use some with the hook bend the other way, still not sure what works
best, and in how to get the best cut with the least problems.

It's nice to actually see how someone else use them and compare that
with my trials.
Thanks again Darrell

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Thanks Leo. I would say that 95% of the time I prefer the bevel on the
outside. The only time I like it inside is for the bottom of narrow bowls.
Andres Martel has his with the bevel outside but bent so it rides flat on
the bowl bottom. I can not get used to it but some more practice might help
:-) He makes it sing.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lawrence

Thanks Leo. I would say that 95% of the time I prefer the bevel on the
outside. The only time I like it inside is for the bottom of narrow bowls.
Andres Martel has his with the bevel outside but bent so it rides flat on
the bowl bottom. I can not get used to it but some more practice might
help
:-) He makes it sing.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Thanks for the video of the "catch". How come the bowl stopped turning
instead of just inertially yanking the tool? It always seems to be a big
deal when I get a catch. My lathe is a belt driven Sears rattletrap.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:49:36 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Thanks Leo. I would say that 95% of the time I prefer the bevel on the
outside. The only time I like it inside is for the bottom of narrow bowls.
Andres Martel has his with the bevel outside but bent so it rides flat on
the bowl bottom. I can not get used to it but some more practice might help
:-) He makes it sing.

Very much like you'd use a ring tool, like the Termite.. except you have to ride
the bevel like a gouge with the termite to avoid drama..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Owen
The bowl stopped on the catch because it is time to take the thing apart and
lube parts of the Reeves drive, replace the drive belt and so on. It has
been quite a while. On the other hand I have had little time lately in the
shop and sometimes the lathe stopping for a catch instead of whipping the
tool end around (yes, that has happened) is not so bad :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:20:03 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Owen
The bowl stopped on the catch because it is time to take the thing apart and
lube parts of the Reeves drive, replace the drive belt and so on. It has
been quite a while. On the other hand I have had little time lately in the
shop and sometimes the lathe stopping for a catch instead of whipping the
tool end around (yes, that has happened) is not so bad :-)

That's one thing that I don't like about my reeves drive, Darrell, that you
can't adjust belt tension..
On my mini, I keep the belt a bit loose so that the work WILL slow or stop if
(ok, when) I get a catch..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Mac
Same here. It would be nice to slack off the belts at times, but no way. On
the other hand, I really have to do some maintenance on the thing. I think I
have some spare time coming in August or maybe September.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:10:23 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Mac
Same here. It would be nice to slack off the belts at times, but no way. On
the other hand, I really have to do some maintenance on the thing. I think I
have some spare time coming in August or maybe September.

I keep waiting for the belt to go on my Jet 1442 so I can put the link belt on
it... everyone said that it would "chew up belts quickly" but this is the
original one and although less than a year old, I'd guess it has more hours than
most 2 or 3 year old lathes..
I'm thinking of just cutting the old belt off and adding the link belt, since
it's been hanging on the wall for months.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'm thinking of just cutting the old belt off and adding the link belt,
since
it's been hanging on the wall for months.. *g*

Piker! I have one for Ol' Blue that I bought about six years ago when I did
my contractor saw and jointer. It's a bit shorter now, as I used a nearly a
foot and a half for my grinder, but there may yet be enough there for the
big kid when he gets back to pick up the lathe.

Green Gates belt, lasts forever.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:05:27 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking of just cutting the old belt off and adding the link belt,
since
it's been hanging on the wall for months.. *g*

Piker! I have one for Ol' Blue that I bought about six years ago when I did
my contractor saw and jointer. It's a bit shorter now, as I used a nearly a
foot and a half for my grinder, but there may yet be enough there for the
big kid when he gets back to pick up the lathe.

Green Gates belt, lasts forever.

I've become a convert, George...
I bought a link belt a couple of months ago for the lathe, but the guys at the
saw shop guessed at the wrong size.. they said 1/2" and it's 3/8"..
Worked out really well, though because I put it on the band saw and it made
quite a difference... Then, the saw shop made me a deal on 3' of the correct
size, since they'd guessed wrong.. *g*

SO, it's hanging on the wall over the lathe, since there is NO way I'm going to
take apart the whole lathe to replace the OEM belt..