Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Dave & Denise Kother

Default Good Lathe Chuck for a beginner

Hello All,

I did some word turning back in high school some 20 years ago, and am going
to be getting back into it with a midi sized lathe. I hope to be making
some small bowls and such, just working an old hobby that I loved so much.

When I turned in high school, we used a scrap block glued to the turned wood
and the faceplate was screwed to the scrap. The more I have been reading,
that doesn't seem too popular now, but chucks seem to be the better way to
do things. I am trying to do some reading on chucks to familiarize myself
with them.

What is a good chuck for a beginner that will serve a good range of
projects? I understand that some can clamp inside and outside, and there
are a lot of variations. Money is a bit of an issue, so I want to get a
good one that can do a variety of jobs.

Thanks for all of your input.

DK