Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Mark Fitzsimmons

Default Good Lathe Chuck for a beginner

It depends entirely on what you want to make. Dowels, plates and
bowls: use chucks.

I have turned with chucks and with faceplates and by far use faceplates
much much more than chucks, however I do mostly hollow turning, which
doesn't lend itself well to chuck work, unless you make very small
hollow things or very long tenons, and even that is iffy. Chucks are
nice for small to medium bowls, but over about 12" dia they just don't
have the strength (or the wood doesn't have the strength to take the
stress imposed by chuck jaws, especially jaws that open outward) to
keep the wood on the lathe. The most important thing I learned about
chuck work, is you HAVE TO KEEP THE TAILSTOCK on the wood while you
hollow the bowl as long as possible, especially natural edge bowls, or
the wood will fail at the dovetail bottom or the wood will just work
itself out of the chuck in very short order.

I love using chucks for small to medium open bowls, especially several
in production mode. You can control more precisely where the center is.
For small to medium bowls, gluing with thick paper between is still a
nice standby, but for really large face plate work I have gone to
direct gluing blocks onto my blanks (the paper fails on larger pieces)
or more often I turn a small (1/4" high to 3/4" high by 3"-6" dia)
tenon on my blank between centers, then turn a matching hole in the
faceplate blank. This gives a lot more strength when hollowing,
especially when I can't get a steady rest on the OD due to holes in the
side of it, and it provides the same perfect centering you need for
detailed control of where the windows will be.

If you glue to waste blocks, make the joints as flat as possible, and
use yellow glue or epoxy. Gorilla glue fails often and dangerously
except in absolutely perfect joints that are clamped super super hard,
and it's not easy to clamp irregular chunks of wood, and it's not easy
to clamp them quickly. Bubbles push the joint apart. Doesn't take the
shock loading and fails right inside the glue which is mostly bubbles
anyway.