Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Capt T

Default Newbe question

Just got a Nutool MC 900 lathe similar to Clarke tools and many
others..probably Chinese in origin but works well.
This is probably very obvious but....

When turning a piece say 8" by 4"diam with a view to hollowing (Vase shape
for example) I start off spindle turning to shape it up.The spur drive (4
teeth) inavriably starts to slip after a while and no amount of bashing back
in or increasing tailstock pressure seems to help?
I then mounted it on a very basic 4 jaw chuck and in conjunction with the
tailstock tried turning again but it seems impossible to centre it as before
and I therefore return it to new shape / centre.To hollow it out i removed
tailstock and tried with a small spindle gauge
to attack the end.It all flew off the chuck and thenwas impossible to
recentre on the chuck.
Is there a better way to hold such pices and how do I retain centres when
transferring from spindle to face turning.
Thanks and regards from the UK

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM