Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill B

Default Newbe question

Capt T wrote:
Just got a Nutool MC 900 lathe similar to Clarke tools and many
others..probably Chinese in origin but works well.
This is probably very obvious but....

When turning a piece say 8" by 4"diam with a view to hollowing (Vase shape
for example) I start off spindle turning to shape it up.The spur drive (4
teeth) inavriably starts to slip after a while and no amount of bashing back
in or increasing tailstock pressure seems to help?
I then mounted it on a very basic 4 jaw chuck and in conjunction with the
tailstock tried turning again but it seems impossible to centre it as before
and I therefore return it to new shape / centre.To hollow it out i removed
tailstock and tried with a small spindle gauge
to attack the end.It all flew off the chuck and thenwas impossible to
recentre on the chuck.
Is there a better way to hold such pices and how do I retain centres when
transferring from spindle to face turning.
Thanks and regards from the UK

It is very difficult to rechuck a piece so that it is spinning as before.

When I rough something like a vase, I start between centers, just to get
it somewhat round and balanced. Then I cut a tenon or rebate on what is
to be the bottom, generally a rebate so I don't have to do anything
extra to finish the bottom, and then transfer to a chuck before doing
any shaping. Make sure that the tenon or rebate is shorter than the
dovetails on the jaws. If you look closely, most jaws have a shoulder
below the dovetail that is the same diameter as the top end of the
dovetail. If your tenon or rebate reaches the shoulder on the jaws it
will not hold worth a hoot. On my Nova chucks anything deeper than 1/4"
is asking for trouble.

One other thing that you learn by trial and error, mostly error, is how
tight to chuck things. Too tight and the wood fractures and will come
off rather easily. Too loose and ditto.

I would suggest not doing vases until you have mastered hollowing out
shorter forms. Lots of leverage out there on a 8" vase. And don't be
afraid to "Cheat" and drill out most of the material.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown