Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Eccentric Turning"Plan" Method

Have put together illustrations and instructions
for graphically "planning" a "between centers"
eccentric turning using the "beads first" approach.
I've posted this as a GIF file in

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Comments, suggestions, questions will be appreciated.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I could not find it in there. I have never used the usernet stuff
before, any help suggestions to find your file? I found the category,
but have been unable to locate your file.
Thanks,
Brad
HardingPens.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

charlie b wrote:
If that doesn't work maybe I'll put up a page on
my website - though I'm having a space problem
at the moment.

Have you ever considered using a blog? Blogger.com provides the free
software and blogspot.com will host it.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Derek Andrews wrote:
\
Have you ever considered using a blog? Blogger.com provides the free
software and blogspot.com will host it.

No, I havent - and here's why.

There's no such thing as a free lunch when it comes
to "Dot Coms". The "free" "software" often generates
code that you don't even know about, and visitors
may not know about - ie - files, scripts, applets
etc. that get downloaded to the visitor's computer.
"Cookies" are probably the most benign of these
types of things. Your seafoamwoodturning site
for example, sends several 8k "show_ads.js"
files to my computer - the .js identifying a
java script. The file name "show_ads" gives
me the idea that the java script would show
an advertisement on my computer monitor. My
web browser catches these "hidden files" and
lets me decide what to do with them before
they are executed/run on my computer.

In addition, the "free" software is pretty
clunky compared to a commercially available
web site building package - like Adobe's
Go Live for example - which is what I use
for building my sites. EVERY THING on
my sites I PUT THERE, knowingly. There
are no Cookies, no Pop Ups, no Redirects
etc.. I pay for my ISP, my web site building
software etc. and I make the content, put
it up and maintain the site. It's not a
money generator for me, and other than
my ISP getting paid to provide the server
and net access, no one makes any money
off my site. Not so for any of the "free"
"Dot Com" "services.

rant mode off

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

"charlie b" wrote in message
Derek Andrews wrote:
\
[...]

Charlie, I find your comments and some of Greg's and these others to be cool
stuff and extremely helpful. While it may be OffTopic, for those of us who
use computers but don't understand all this "crap", it's great to hear some
of what's going on. We're not interested in how the watch is made - just
what time it is - and some of these quick insights are very relevant to our
online life. Thanks.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

charlie b wrote:
Your seafoamwoodturning site
for example, sends several 8k "show_ads.js"
files to my computer - the .js identifying a
java script.

Those are almost certainly the Google Ads which I have added into the
blog template myself. If you don't want to add them you don't need to.
One can edit the blog template or provide your own if you feel so inclined.

In addition, the "free" software is pretty
clunky compared to a commercially available
web site building package - like Adobe's
Go Live for example - which is what I use
for building my sites. EVERY THING on
my sites I PUT THERE, knowingly.

Blogger.com software is pretty good for publishing a blog. It would be
no use for making a website with, but that is the whole point of blog
software - a content management system designed for quickly and simply
creating blog posts, taking care of archiving and navigation, and
publishing to the web.

I was merely offering an option for hosting odds and ends of information
since you mentioned you were running low on webspace. Your post to abpw
was excellent, but would be be a great resource to more woodturners if
it was on regular webspace rather than a newsgroup.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Eccentric Turning"Plan" Method-URL

Taking Derek's suggestion to put the example of
the graphical method for planning an eccentric
piece up on a web page - here's the url

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Turning14.html

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

Thanks Charlie!! Some of us don't have access to the binaries groups.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Eccentric Turning"Plan" Method-Attn: Derek

I apologies for going off on your suggestion and blog spot.
You offered a constructive suggestion and I only saw the
down side to visitors in terms of the ads.

While learning a new woodworking techinique/method
I often put together instructions for myself. As an
amateur/hobbyist/addict, I tend to jump around the
woodworking realm and not get back to a technique for
months or years. The notes/instructions to myself
shorten the relearning curve later. My hope is that
these notes/instructions can shorten the newbie's
learning curve and get someone to try what he/she
thought was too complicated or difficultt to even
attempt.

To that end, I'm trying to come up with a way of
visualizing what, for a given pair of end centers,
is the "solid/common" shape,the "shadow shape"
and the "null point" of an eccentric pair of centers.

My first approach was too ambitious. I'm now
workingjust on how the "null point" moves
down the blank as pairs of centers on the diagonal
of the ends changes. IF I get someothing that
makes sense to me I'll put it up on my site - space
permitting.

This turning thing is complicated - pat your head,
rub your stomach, jump on one foot, AND whistle-
ALL at the same time. Throw in sharp cutting
edges that you roll and/or swing and things get
really interesting - and fun!

charlie b

Again, I apologize for going off on your suggestion.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

charlie b wrote:
While learning a new woodworking techinique/method
I often put together instructions for myself. As an
amateur/hobbyist/addict, I tend to jump around the
woodworking realm and not get back to a technique for
months or years. The notes/instructions to myself
shorten the relearning curve later.

A good idea. I used to keep a workshop notebook of what worked and what
doesn't. I still keep instruction sheets for some of the more complex
products that I only make occassionally, especially for complicated
chucking sequences and critical dimensions. It saves time reinventing
the wheel each time.

My first approach was too ambitious. I'm now
workingjust on how the "null point" moves
down the blank as pairs of centers on the diagonal
of the ends changes.

I seem to recall that there was an article years ago in Woodturning
magazine about this. If I can find it I will let you know.