Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Eccentric Turning"Plan" Method-Attn: Derek

I apologies for going off on your suggestion and blog spot.
You offered a constructive suggestion and I only saw the
down side to visitors in terms of the ads.

While learning a new woodworking techinique/method
I often put together instructions for myself. As an
amateur/hobbyist/addict, I tend to jump around the
woodworking realm and not get back to a technique for
months or years. The notes/instructions to myself
shorten the relearning curve later. My hope is that
these notes/instructions can shorten the newbie's
learning curve and get someone to try what he/she
thought was too complicated or difficultt to even
attempt.

To that end, I'm trying to come up with a way of
visualizing what, for a given pair of end centers,
is the "solid/common" shape,the "shadow shape"
and the "null point" of an eccentric pair of centers.

My first approach was too ambitious. I'm now
workingjust on how the "null point" moves
down the blank as pairs of centers on the diagonal
of the ends changes. IF I get someothing that
makes sense to me I'll put it up on my site - space
permitting.

This turning thing is complicated - pat your head,
rub your stomach, jump on one foot, AND whistle-
ALL at the same time. Throw in sharp cutting
edges that you roll and/or swing and things get
really interesting - and fun!

charlie b

Again, I apologize for going off on your suggestion.

charlie b