Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Art Ransom

Default Texas ebony posts

A new contractor came in yesterday and wanted 6" by 5' turned posts. He
had brought the material and they were Texas Ebony. Nice and dry, fairly
straight and not too badly dinged up. I am always a sucker for anything
new so I said for $100 each I would turn them. Just a straight post as
close to 6" diameter as material will allow. It was slow going getting the
first one trued up enough to get the speed up but I finally made it.
Finished post was 6" and the splits added to the charm. Really turned out
nice and rustic. Not signs of allergic rash this morning so I will do the
next one today. He wants me to do some 10' ones but some how they will have
to be milled a lot straighter so I can balance them.
FYI . Before they were turned the material was called telephone pole
after turning it is known as Texas Ebony.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Art Ransom wrote:

FYI . Before they were turned the material was called telephone
pole
after turning it is known as Texas Ebony.

OK.. had me going there. I am in San Antonio, and from time to time I
see small pieces of wood that come up from the valley and they are
"Texas Ebony".

When I read you were turning a post, I was floored. I haven't ever
seen a piece of this stuff longer than 24" you could actually turn
anything out of that was nice.

A telephone pole... you must be like me. A Texan born and raised.
Gotta getcher turnin' wood where you can.

I still think you should put a pic up on your site of one of your
posts, though.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

All right, are you talking about actual telephone pole wood, as in wood
that has been used as a pole to hold up phone and or power lines? As I
understand it, this wood, and railroad ties for that matter, are soaked
in creosote to prevent rot. Irrc, creosote is a known carcinogen. You
may want to look up a MSDS online for creosote, or phone poles, before
you turn this wood for long...

Art Ransom wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Becker

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
A new contractor came in yesterday and wanted 6" by 5' turned posts. He
had brought the material and they were Texas Ebony. Nice and dry, fairly
FYI . Before they were turned the material was called telephone pole
after turning it is known as Texas Ebony.

I'd really like to see these.
Any chance of getting a picture posted somewhere?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Art Ransom

Posted posts on my site. See http://turningaround.org/texas_ebony_posts.htm

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Becker

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
Posted posts on my site. See
http://turningaround.org/texas_ebony_posts.htm

Thanks for the pictures!

I'm quite impressed. They "turned" out quite nicely.

regarding Texas instruments DLP chips. Rodoz Electronics Repair 1 December 16th 05 10:17 PM
Texas Ebony? charlie b Woodworking 8 October 7th 05 12:14 AM
Texas ebony Art Ransom Woodturning 15 September 6th 04 12:26 PM
Deck disasater - how to repair concrete posts? Andy Woodworking 10 June 15th 04 12:01 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM