charlie b

Default Texas Ebony?

A freind near Austin Texas has offered to send me
some "Texas Ebony" to try turning. Anyone worked
with this stuff and if so what's your opinion of
it?

charlie b
BillyBob

"charlie b" wrote in message
A freind near Austin Texas has offered to send me
some "Texas Ebony" to try turning. Anyone worked
with this stuff and if so what's your opinion of
it?

I hear it works pretty well in "DELAYth" if you are willing to follow the
grain. Sorry I could not resist.

I've never heard of the stuff.

Bob

Robatoy

In article et,
"BillyBob" wrote:

"charlie b" wrote in message
A freind near Austin Texas has offered to send me
some "Texas Ebony" to try turning. Anyone worked
with this stuff and if so what's your opinion of
it?

I hear it works pretty well in "DELAYth" if you are willing to follow the
grain. Sorry I could not resist.

Mmmm.. in that case it could be petrified bull****?

I've never heard of the stuff.

Bob

Leon

"charlie b" wrote in message
A freind near Austin Texas has offered to send me
some "Texas Ebony" to try turning. Anyone worked
with this stuff and if so what's your opinion of
it?

charlie b

I have worked with it a little while making Knife handles. It is tight
grained like Ebony and cutting leaves a smooth burnished surface. The
color was very dark brown to black and had light blind streaks. It is
rather expensive however not so much as typical Ebony. Very heavy. I can
post a picture of it on a.b.p.w. If you like.

Leon

"BillyBob" wrote in message
nk.net...

"charlie b" wrote in message
A freind near Austin Texas has offered to send me
some "Texas Ebony" to try turning. Anyone worked
with this stuff and if so what's your opinion of
it?

I hear it works pretty well in "DELAYth" if you are willing to follow the
grain. Sorry I could not resist.

I've never heard of the stuff.

Bob, Woodcraft and Hardwood Lumber in the Heights sell Texas Ebony and IIRC
Rockler has had it in stock. Expensive and heavy.

dadiOH

charlie b wrote:
A freind near Austin Texas has offered to send me
some "Texas Ebony" to try turning. Anyone worked
with this stuff and if so what's your opinion of
it?

I'd take it. All you'll ever want to know...

The tree
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ny&sa=N&tab=iw

The wood
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...xas+ebony+wood

Pictures
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ny&sa=N&tab=wi

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

BillyBob

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

Bob, Woodcraft and Hardwood Lumber in the Heights sell Texas Ebony and

IIRC
Rockler has had it in stock. Expensive and heavy.

Well, I learned something. I tend to avoid the expensive aisles of the
lumber perveyors. I've already got a few feet of some really good wood that
I'm scared to use because I'll probably screw it up. I'm still waiting to
get my dream bandsaw to slice a hunk off my 16/4 Cocobolo.

Bob

Sounds like a title for a porn flick to me.

Leon

"BillyBob" wrote in message
nk.net...

Well, I learned something. I tend to avoid the expensive aisles of the
lumber perveyors. I've already got a few feet of some really good wood
that
I'm scared to use because I'll probably screw it up. I'm still waiting to
get my dream bandsaw to slice a hunk off my 16/4 Cocobolo.

Oddly I started making fewer mistakes when I went from using Pine to Oak and
other more expensive hard woods. I guess the additional cost of a mistake
make me better plan my projects.