Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Not Too Late - Another Last Minute Present

Should've done these BEFORE trying hair sticks.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Turning13.html

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

charlie b wrote:

Should've done these BEFORE trying hair sticks.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Turning13.html

charlie b

Nice.

For Real spoons, hollow the Big End then bandsaw the excess after finish
turned.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Lobby Dosser wrote:

For Real spoons, hollow the Big End then bandsaw the excess after finish
turned.

Got suggestions for methods of "hollowing"? I guess if I had a lathe
with
a big enough swing and glued the blank to a face plate and figured
out
how to turn an oval hollow ... Or I could turn a few domes of the
right
size and glue on some sand paper. Or ....

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"charlie b" wrote in message

Got suggestions for methods of "hollowing"? I guess if I had a lathe
with
a big enough swing and glued the blank to a face plate and figured
out
how to turn an oval hollow ... Or I could turn a few domes of the
right
size and glue on some sand paper. Or ....

Gouge, scorp or scraper, sandpaper.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

charlie b wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

For Real spoons, hollow the Big End then bandsaw the excess after
finish turned.

Got suggestions for methods of "hollowing"? I guess if I had a
lathe
with
a big enough swing and glued the blank to a face plate and figured
out
how to turn an oval hollow ... Or I could turn a few domes of the
right
size and glue on some sand paper. Or ....

charlie b

Do it like you would turn a goblet. After your finished, the goblet portion
can be a Scoop or a Spoon depending on what you do with it on the band saw.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Senor Dosser:

I am trying to picture how you would cut the goblet portion to have a
traditional spoon. The scoop is something that has been made ever sine
I can remember, and I have a couple made as Christmas ornaments.

But I am thinking of a rod with an oval on the end, mounted center to
center, and trued up and centered on the lathe. I can understand and
see the goblet easily, and can do the hollowing and finishing etc.

However, on a traditional spoon I am seen the tip of the spoon end (not
the handle) as being at least as high as the center line of the handle,
prefereably higher. If I have drilled a hole in the end (1" maybe?)
how will I not have a tip that will be lower than the center line of
the handle when I have removed the evidence of the hollowing access
hole?

I do my spoons with a Dremel and carbide burr and it takes a while. I
make bread mixing spoons, pudding spoons, mixing spoons, tasting
spoons, and stirring spoons all in a traditional style. I also make
mixing spatulas, turners, etc. (If anyone would like to see them I will
try to post a link after some pics.)

I would LOVE to find a faster way to make spoons than grinding and
sanding. I have made so damn many I am sick of them.

I await your response...

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Robert,

FWIW I'd like to see them.

TomNie

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

wrote in message
ups.com...

I do my spoons with a Dremel and carbide burr and it takes a while. I
make bread mixing spoons, pudding spoons, mixing spoons, tasting
spoons, and stirring spoons all in a traditional style. I also make
mixing spatulas, turners, etc. (If anyone would like to see them I will
try to post a link after some pics.)

I would LOVE to find a faster way to make spoons than grinding and
sanding. I have made so damn many I am sick of them.

As before, gouge, scorp or scraper, spokeshave and sandpaper. I carve a
couple/three hundred a year.

If you want symmetrical, and turned handles, you can use a blocked end and
mount it below the centerline of the eventual bowl. (-\-------) I have a
bench at carving height at the end of my horse, but as you wouldn't be
shaving handles, you could get by with a shaving "pony" in a vise.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t=7eaa82a0.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Tom Nie" wrote:

If I have drilled a hole in the end (1" maybe?)
how will I not have a tip that will be lower than the center line of
the handle when I have removed the evidence of the hollowing access
hole?

Sorry, I missed your questions. If you use the goblet technique, the tip of
the spoon will be lower than the center line of the handle. If that is a
problem, then you need another technique. You could pre-shape the bowl of
the spoon and then turn the handle. Other than that, I'm fresh out of
ideas.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

In answer to the question of how to get the
concave "inside" of the spoon - Proxxon
mini-grinder with flapper sander wheel..
If you have a table saw, you've probably
seen the method of cutting a cove into a
board by passing the board diagonally
acrossed the saw blade. By making a
sweeping pass over the surface, varying
the depth of cut by varying the angle
as you go, you can "sand out" a spoon
shape. There's a medium and fine
2" curved metal abrasive wheel available
that lasts a lot longer than the flapper
sander that Proxxon sells. But at
$40 US each they're gonna have to be
on a future wish list.

charlie b