Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Factory stand for Jet mini

Recently I had a JET mini delivered to my daughter's studio in Ct. for
my use during visits. Due to limited space & time (no not Einstein's
continuum) and tools, I went ahead and bought a Jet stand for it. Now
I'm having second thoughts about its design and stability. The pics make
it look kinda skimpy. I sure would appreciate some encouragement from
any of you who have experience with this stand. Have any of you added
your own shop-made improvements or do you find the stand as is, to be
adequate?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch:

As long as you don't have the extension on your lathe you should be
just fine. We use them set up on the metal stand all the time in our
club for teaching and for demos. A huge chunk of wood (for the lathe,
say a 9" chunk of green wood at about 9# or so) at the lathe's capacity
will test this setup and your patience pretty well until you get it
rounded.

After that, it is fine.

When I have demoed on it for our club, it was great as it is so easy to
clean up. My wood stand seems to collect little bits everywhere on it,
and that can be annoying.

Also, they used to teach the bowl classes on them at Woodcraft until
Delta made them a better deal and the guys there never complained
(which is a feat unto itself).

If you were looking for a stand to get started turning, and not spend
time stand building, you will be really happy with this decision.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) Now I'm having second thoughts about its design and
stability.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arch, why don't you pre-mount and rough out any large pieces that you intend
to do at your daughter's house prior to your next visit?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rudolf Moehs

Great stand, well made and has some heft to it.

Rudy
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred

Good choice, I've not had any regrets with mine.
Fred Bearman
Port Huron, Michigan

"Arch" wrote in message
Recently I had a JET mini delivered to my daughter's studio in Ct. for
my use during visits. Due to limited space & time (no not Einstein's
continuum) and tools, I went ahead and bought a Jet stand for it. Now
I'm having second thoughts about its design and stability. The pics make
it look kinda skimpy. I sure would appreciate some encouragement from
any of you who have experience with this stand. Have any of you added
your own shop-made improvements or do you find the stand as is, to be
adequate?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
larrye

Don't worry, stand is very sturdy, almost weighs as much as the lathe.
Take the time to level the stand and I am certain you will not regret
the decision.
Lary

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: Recently I had a JET mini delivered to my daughter's studio
in Ct. for my use during visits. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arch, this is OT to the intent of your post, but curiosity compels me to
ask. How does your daugher view this move?
1.) It will be nice for Arch to have something to occupy him while he's
here.
2.) Arch is so focussed that he's never happy unless he's turning wood.
3.) Good! This will keep him out from under foot while I'm cooking.
4.) Are we that boring?
5.) Good. With the lathe here, maybe he'll come and visit more often.
6.) Uh-oh. With the lathe here, maybe he'll come and visit more often.
7.) I hope he doesn't take all his turnings home with him.
8.) I hope he's not planning to start lining up his stuff on our shelves
now that his own house is overflowing.
9.) Other.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Everyone,
OK yes, all of the above, but Leo is not that insightful. I bet he
called Cynthia and the two of them had a nice chat. Don't know why women
have to tell everything. Next time I'll send up a welding torch instead
of a lathe. Pursuing that hobby in her studio will insure a warmer
welcome!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Owen Lowe wrote:

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check
for finished smoothness.

LOL... Wow, Owen. I can truly say you have mastered the unerstatement.

I looked at that gawdawful picture, then read the last line, and I
wonder if I would actually care about marring the surface of a project
if that had happened.

If I escaped that poor guy's fate, I would be happy sanding out some
marred surface!

Robert