Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Don't You Hate it When

Nice little ornaments go wrong? Oak body, maple icecicle, looks nice,
weight's right and -what's that noise?

Some dummy didn't blow all the shavings out before he attached the maple.
What do you think, bore the mounting hole right into the interior and inject
a little glue or leave it be?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

George wrote:

Nice little ornaments go wrong? Oak body, maple icecicle, looks nice,
weight's right and -what's that noise?

Some dummy didn't blow all the shavings out before he attached the maple.
What do you think, bore the mounting hole right into the interior and inject
a little glue or leave it be?

You've inadvertently created a "feature" and a unique product -
a Christmas tree ornament AND a rattle. Use it as a product
differentation item in your advertising. If you're going to
sell you stuff this marketing advantage will come in handy!

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

George wrote:
Nice little ornaments go wrong? Oak body, maple icecicle, looks nice,
weight's right and -what's that noise?

Some dummy didn't blow all the shavings out before he attached the maple.
What do you think, bore the mounting hole right into the interior and inject
a little glue or leave it be?

Leave it - adds intrigue...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:41:14 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

You've inadvertently created a "feature" and a unique product -
a Christmas tree ornament AND a rattle. Use it as a product
differentation item in your advertising. If you're going to
sell you stuff this marketing advantage will come in handy!

Charlie,

That's so funny.. Just last night during the "fundamentals" portion of
our club meeting, I was demonstrating how the skills used for
boxmaking could be used to make an ornament and a baby rattle!

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jo-Anne & Edward Tabachek

Non woodturning types have no idea that the globe ornaments can be hollowed
out, even if the ornaments are very light in weight. I and some other
makers (including Bob Rosand, I believe) put a dry split pea or two into
the globe before glue-up. This lets the curious know that the ornament has
been hollowed out. Now they wonder how that can be done.
Ed.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson

When I was selling ornaments I always intentionally added a tiny wood cube
to rattle around in there. So many folks in the general public are
incredibly ignorant about wood and it was worth sales to be able to
validate their suspicion that the lightweight ornaments MIGHT be hollow.
Plus it made it easier for them to show it off to their friends, "Look,
it's hollow," (shake, shake).

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Nice little ornaments go wrong? Oak body, maple icecicle, looks nice,
weight's right and -what's that noise?

Some dummy didn't blow all the shavings out before he attached the maple.
What do you think, bore the mounting hole right into the interior and inject
a little glue or leave it be?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike Paulson wrote:

When I was selling ornaments I always intentionally added a tiny wood
cube
to rattle around in there. So many folks in the general public are
incredibly ignorant about wood and it was worth sales to be able to
validate their suspicion that the lightweight ornaments MIGHT be
hollow.
Plus it made it easier for them to show it off to their friends, "Look,

it's hollow," (shake, shake).

Now that's a good idea. I know what you mean about them not having a
clue of what they have in their hands. I know some are so uneducated
that they don't understand that a maple ball with an ebony icicle is
not accomplished with paint. Hollowing is completely out of their
sphere of referenece.

You may have something there...

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Jo-Anne & Edward Tabachek" wrote in message
Non woodturning types have no idea that the globe ornaments can be
hollowed out, even if the ornaments are very light in weight. I and some
other makers (including Bob Rosand, I believe) put a dry split pea or two
into the globe before glue-up. This lets the curious know that the
ornament has been hollowed out. Now they wonder how that can be done.

That's right. When I first started selling them, I had them hanging on the
wires. Now I hang them on a little 3-foot tree so they won't ask how
anything with a two-inch spike can be a good top. Second question is always
"how'd you get them so light?"

Split pea ornaments, here we come.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

I'm fortunate that the few who fawn on my ornaments are not wood savvy
and don't know that my work is ordinary. Of course, they may be
suppressing their malicious glee about my ignorance re their hobbies.
Insider distain if well hidden or in good spirit is usual and acceptable
in most special knowledge groups, but they need to be careful not to
bite the hand that feeds them.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike Paulson wrote:

When I was selling ornaments I always intentionally added a tiny wood
cube
to rattle around in there. So many folks in the general public are
incredibly ignorant about wood and it was worth sales to be able to
validate their suspicion that the lightweight ornaments MIGHT be
hollow.
Plus it made it easier for them to show it off to their friends, "Look,

it's hollow," (shake, shake).

Now that's a good idea. I know what you mean about them not having a
clue of what they have in their hands. I know some are so uneducated
that they don't understand that a maple ball with an ebony icicle is
not accomplished with paint. Hollowing is completely out of their
sphere of referenece.

You may have something there...

Robert

====But how does he turn the tiny wood cubes? Is this like the pierced
ball within a pierced ball?*G*

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:45:00 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

Nice little ornaments go wrong? Oak body, maple icecicle, looks nice,
weight's right and -what's that noise?

Some dummy didn't blow all the shavings out before he attached the maple.
What do you think, bore the mounting hole right into the interior and inject
a little glue or leave it be?

I think this would call for a "I meant to do that", George...
(great market in cat toys)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:09:26 -0800, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Mike Paulson wrote:

[...]

simple.. turn round shapes and have the elves hammer them gently square...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson

But how does he turn the tiny wood cubes?

I TURN my body so my back is to the lathe, and then I TURN on the bandsaw.
Easy!

Why I hate DIY Mr Fizzion UK diy 2 October 24th 05 11:10 PM
OT pigeon hate tony sayer UK diy 83 August 19th 05 09:01 AM