Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Annual Bird Watching Report

Don't "birds" hit the beaches of Great Britain in bikini's? Gad, I miss
Summer!

Barry

"Arch" wrote in message
Getting cold up North and flocks of Snowbirds of all varieties, human
and feathered, are arriving in South Florida even as I post. We natives
appreciate and need them all, so this is my annual
report on the birds I recognize from RCW. What rare bird sightings have
you made?
1. The Yellow-Bellied Troll____________2

2. The Black-Billed Spammmer________2
3. The Purple-Crested Knowitall_______2

4. The Scissor-Tailed knifeintheback____2

5. The Cockaded-Namedropper_______3

6. The Pileated-Neverwrong__________2

7. The Ring-Necked Disagree_________4

8. The Good-Grey Lurker____________14

9. The Palmated Self-Deprecator______2

10. The Double-crested Ontheotherhand

11. The Screeching-Takeoffense_______4
12. The Needle-Beaked Pickapart______3

And a native Florida bird.......................... The WebbedTv
Musing-Booby_________1

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey

Default Annual Bird Watching Report - Definately OT

Hi Arch. Y'all will probably see a few Great Northern Hairy Chested Nut
Scratchers around Hollywood Fl. at this time of year. They roost and
procreate in the Ontario and Quebec woods during the summer and take flight
on their southern migration at the first sign of snow. The Quebec variety is
recognised on the beach by the thong.
A Western sub-species of Scratcher can be seen flocking in and around the
Arizona/California deserts during the cooler months. These coloUrful birds
usually drag their nests along behind them but that's ok because they are
wonderful fliers!
A good vantage point to observe these magnificent fowl is the local Wal-Mart
and they can be recognized by their familiar cry " Eh ay ay ay... waddya
say!". These fine birds are quite tame, generally have impeccable manners
and are a delight to have at one's house for dinner, but not as a course!
The G.N.H.C.N.S. begin their northern migration in the spring on the hot air
fronts that drift northward across the lower 48 and into Canada. Although
the frontal phenomena is present year-round, intensifies during both equinox
and election years for reasons that have not yet been determined.

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Annual Bird Watching Report - Further OT

Hi Tom, Good report. Another coloUrful sub-species, the 'Birds of
Summer' can be seen here and in Arizona in Spring and later in big
cities all over the U.S. and Canada. Sadly extinct in Montreal, they are
flourishing in the hot air of D.C. Instead of thongs they wear jock
straps which require constant adjustment under their numbered plumage
capped with billed crests. They are usually seen flocking around around
home plates spitting tobacco juice. Swinging a plugged spindle, they
chirp their characteristic cry, "Iwantmoremoney-Iwaantmooremooney"

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Default OT- Annual Bird Watching Report

Arch wrote:
Getting cold up North and flocks of Snowbirds of all varieties, human
and feathered, are arriving in South Florida even as I post.

If you see a pair of Canadian Old-Wrinklies that answer to the name of
Keith and Joyce and will eat lobster out of your hand, say Hi from me

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Wally

Here in Arizona the annual flights of snowbirds are arriving in great
numbers. Many are similar to the Florida snowbirds, but one that
prefers Arizona is the Rosy Breasted Bed Thrasher. This colorful and
flamboyant bird seems to stay clear of the over 55 retirement areas
prefering instead the large resort hotels where the younger set hangs
out. Ah well...Wally
Arch wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Tom, Good report. Another coloUrful sub-species, the 'Birds of
Summer' can be seen here and in Arizona in Spring and later in big
cities all over the U.S. and Canada. Sadly extinct in Montreal, they are
flourishing in the hot air of D.C. Instead of thongs they wear jock
straps which require constant adjustment under their numbered plumage
capped with billed crests. They are usually seen flocking around around
home plates spitting tobacco juice. Swinging a plugged spindle, they
chirp their characteristic cry, "Iwantmoremoney-Iwaantmooremooney"

==========================

Arch,
About this time of the year, the Great Northern Snow birds begin to appear
in the lower Rio Grande Valley. The locals there compare them to hemmoroids
(sp?). They say if they come and leave, they're bearable; but if they come
and stay, they're a pain in the ass! :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ken:

I am in San Antonio. We are currently experiencing a large influx of
New Yankee Warblers. Like a Mockingbird they do not have a readily
identified call. However, they can be identified by the following:

- White legs sticking out of cargo shorts, with black socks and dress
shoes on the males
- Also for the males, fishing hats a la Grumpy Old Men. For male and
female, flip-up clip-on sunglasses on the more mature of the species
- For both male and female, roosting places include RVs, relations, and
Mexican food restaurants along water areas such as the Riverwalk

Can be more readily identified by the following calls:
- You think this is cold? Last week in PA I was shoveling a foot of
snow off the walk!
- Damn these halapeenos are hot! Don't eat those Ma or youse gonna be
screamin' for ice cream all night!
- Ahhhhh.... you guys haven't tasted a decent dwog until you have a NY
dwog (They don't know that dwogs are endangered down here and we can't
hunt them. What is a dwog anyway?)
- Geeezzz.... lookit the size of that iced tea glass! Whadussit hold?
A frikkin' gallon? (Actually no, just a quart). Actually considered
the lunch time size pretty much everwhere around here.

I know I have made positive ID when I introduce myself, and they
respond with a grimace (rarely) or the respond with "So how you doin't
Rahbut?"

I then ask if they are from around here, and they beam with pride as
they think they fit right in.

Good to see 'em around for a while, and like them, I am glad when they
are on the way home.

Robert/Rahbut

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch,

Great subject! Thanks for the chuckle guys, I love your senses of
humor.

Living in a Pocono Mts. (PA) resort area I can relate!!

Take care,
Ruth
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John DeBoo

Ken Moon wrote:
"Arch" wrote in message

[...]

They love the Bosque del Apache game refuge there. An excellent place
to view birds and critters all year round. Then a greenchili
cheeseburger at the original Owl Cafe in San Antonio, NM...
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

=======================
You should see a slight slow down in the infllux for a few days. They've
been stacking up those cars and RVs like firewood on I-35 heree in the
Austin area. The local body shops say it'll probably be 2-3 weeks before
they catch up on the backlog. And they say WE can't drive in the icy stuff.
(:-)

BTW, Rick Perry's staff says we may have an open season on dwogs next
spring!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

BTW, Rick Perry's staff says we may have an open season on dwogs next

spring!

LOL, good one.

I just hope some of seasonal friends are here to show us how to skin
and dress those bad boys. Guess I'll need to get some BBs for the gun.
I'll have to head to Academy to make sure I have all the right gear!

Well, for my 2-cents, Rahbut is much better'n Rawbutt.

Heck even those guys have manners. Only about half of them use the
alternate "Rawbutt" when attracting attention. I myself do like the
"Rahbut" variant better.

Robert - in Texan, pronounced RAWBURT