Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Margret Huntress

Default Micky Mouse pen

A friend is a big disney fan. She was wondering if a pen could be turned
with the end having "ears" like Micky Mouse. I was thinking a making a
separate piece for the end of the pen, and somehow making it with ears.
Does anyone have suggestions (other than getting rid of my friend) on how
this could be done? As always, your suggestions are appreciated!

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 14:46:13 GMT, "Margret Huntress"
wrote:

A friend is a big disney fan. She was wondering if a pen could be turned
with the end having "ears" like Micky Mouse. I was thinking a making a
separate piece for the end of the pen, and somehow making it with ears.
Does anyone have suggestions (other than getting rid of my friend) on how
this could be done? As always, your suggestions are appreciated!

Tom

Just turn whatever pen you like, Tom.. and tell him it's Mickey Mouse..

"Perception becomes reality"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Margret Huntress" wrote in message
A friend is a big disney fan. She was wondering if a pen could be turned
with the end having "ears" like Micky Mouse. I was thinking a making a
separate piece for the end of the pen, and somehow making it with ears.
Does anyone have suggestions (other than getting rid of my friend) on how
this could be done? As always, your suggestions are appreciated!

Sure, just turn a bulbous shape on the end which, when trimmed along the
grain, leaves "ears." Folks have done sugar bowl handles that way. I know
one who did it _once_, but at large sizes, it's more trouble than it's
worth.

What I do now is glue the handles on.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Margret Huntress" wrote: (clip) making a separate piece for the end of
the pen, and somehow making it with ears. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you know the procedure for turning a ladle? You turn the bowl while
letting the handle swing like a propeller--and turn the handle while letting
the bowl swing. To do two ears, you would doe something like that, but hold
the wood off-axis to turn each ear.

Maybe an easier way would be to leave enough wood on the end to carve the
ears. That would also let you provide a nose.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

wrote:

A friend is a big disney fan. She was wondering if a pen could be turned
with the end having "ears" like Micky Mouse. I was thinking a making a
separate piece for the end of the pen, and somehow making it with ears.
Does anyone have suggestions (other than getting rid of my friend) on how
this could be done? As always, your suggestions are appreciated!

If you succeed....keep an eye peeled for black helicopters!
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken G.

Margret Huntress wrote:
A friend is a big disney fan. She was wondering if a pen could be turned
with the end having "ears" like Micky Mouse. I was thinking a making a
separate piece for the end of the pen, and somehow making it with ears.
Does anyone have suggestions (other than getting rid of my friend) on how
this could be done? As always, your suggestions are appreciated!

Tom

Turn a doughnut shape on the end, then cut two sides away to leave the
ears and do a little creative carving if necessary.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturer.com/