Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Getting a handle on our tools

Some of us prefer factory finished wood handles, some prefer weighted
metal custom or multi use handles and some would prefer to buy unhandled
tools or when felt necessary, substitute their own handles. I'm
interested in the latter.

It somehow seems proper to have a 'no nonsense' finish on tools and
machines. YMMV, but I think a 'workman's sweat' finish on handles looks
and feels good in use; ugly-nice and provides a non-slip comfortable
grip.

There are many variations; pipe, weighted wood, out of round cross
section, cushioned surface, color, shapes, brass tacks etc. for comfort,
efficiency and identification.

What are the variations that those of you who make tool handles prefer?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message

What are the variations that those of you who make tool handles prefer?

Natural materials, generous curves to fit my large hands, and naked.

Come to think of it, that's not bad for tool handles, either.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) ugly-nice (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The current "in" term for that is "shabby chic."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

Wood handles are quite comfortable and can be weighted by boring holes in
the ends.

Derek

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:42:04 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Arch" wrote: (clip) ugly-nice (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The current "in" term for that is "shabby chic."

I hope that isn't the same a shabby chick... lol

I'm a turning peasant... one of my most used tools is a 3/4" x 14" hex bolt
drilled to fit 1/4" HSS bits... nice weight and balance and the duct tape handle
is comfortable..
Sort of intimidating to unwelcome guests, too.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Keep in mind George is in for the winter. Remember the snow picture?

TomNie

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Arch" wrote in message

What are the variations that those of you who make tool handles prefer?

Natural materials, generous curves to fit my large hands, and naked.

Come to think of it, that's not bad for tool handles, either.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

I am sort of with Mac. My most used tool for faceplate work is a 1/4" Oland
tool. That is, a 1/4" HSS bit in a 5/8" cold rolled steel shaft, with a
turned wood handle. I copied a commercial handle that I liked but can not
see the use of a ferule (do not bother to reply about its stopping splitting
and the like, I have heard them all) and I like the handle to be unfinished.
On the other hand my 1/2" roughing tool is a 1/2" HSS bit in a piece of 3/4"
galvanized pipe with duck tape around the handle. Works great. My principle
set of hollowing tools uses hand braces made of plumbing fittings. Also
work great.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Darrell, you are not sufficiently obscessed with the esthetics of your
tools, and excessively obscessed with the esthetics of your turnings. BG

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bernie feinerman

Hello Darrell,

Could you elaborate a bit more on :
" My principle set of hollowing tools uses hand braces made of plumbing
fittings."

bernie feinerman

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Can't resist:
Wouldn't a hole reduce the weight?

I know you mean that you then fill the hole with lead shot, a bolt,
etc. but maybe someone doesn't.

Alan

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:54:06 -0800, "Derek Hartzell"
wrote:

Wood handles are quite comfortable and can be weighted by boring holes in
the ends.

Derek

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

You're right! You put lead shot in the hole and then cap it with a dowel or
plug, leaving room for the shop to move around slightly.

Derek

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

snip
What are the variations that those of you who make tool handles prefer?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I don't get too excited about the handle other than I like it to be a
reasonable size. I have made them from pine to hardwood and I have drilled
and filled some with lead shot. I don't think I have ever picked one of them
up or a commercially handled tool and said, "Wow, is that ever a great
handle!". I just don't think I care. I think my handles must be fairly good
since I have never had a catch with the handle portion of the tool!
I haven't bothered to finish any of mine even though I thought it might make
them prettier. But then, my workbench is layers of MDF covered with
throw-away hard-board not laminated maple on edge with 317 coats of gloss
finish.

billh

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
You're right! You put lead shot in the hole and then cap it with a dowel
or
plug, leaving room for the shop to move around slightly.

Derek

Wow! Now that's a big handle!! *G*

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Sorry, I missed whoever wanted to know about the arm brace handle for
hollowing tools. There is a fairly poor explanation on my web page under
making a swan neck tool http://aroundthewoods.com/swan.shtml I will improve
the explanation in the next few days with a page on making the handle.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Alan" wrote in message

Can't resist:
Wouldn't a hole reduce the weight?

I know you mean that you then fill the hole with lead shot, a bolt,
etc. but maybe someone doesn't.

Can't understand the weighting. It probably has something to do with the
way I cut, where the tool is firm to the rest, and rarely extends more than
an inch or two before I move in closer. To me it's just weight I have to
bear. I'm always happy when I put down the big gouge
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...Is-A-Gouge.jpg
because the next one feels feather-light. The reference coin is a quarter,
and the handle is the way I like both women and handles.

Why do people who weight the handle do it?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Darrell,

Love your designer tools!

Looking forward to the update.

TomNie

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
newsDQif.224667$ir4.185171@edtnps90...
Sorry, I missed whoever wanted to know about the arm brace handle for
hollowing tools. There is a fairly poor explanation on my web page under
making a swan neck tool http://aroundthewoods.com/swan.shtml I will
improve
the explanation in the next few days with a page on making the handle.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steven Raphael

Well the two handles that I have made so far are rescued ash that was slated
for the fireplace. I dont use extra weights in them. I do use a furrel and I
finish them with parafin wax.
"Arch" wrote in message
Some of us prefer factory finished wood handles, some prefer weighted
metal custom or multi use handles and some would prefer to buy unhandled
tools or when felt necessary, substitute their own handles. I'm
interested in the latter.

It somehow seems proper to have a 'no nonsense' finish on tools and
machines. YMMV, but I think a 'workman's sweat' finish on handles looks
and feels good in use; ugly-nice and provides a non-slip comfortable
grip.

There are many variations; pipe, weighted wood, out of round cross
section, cushioned surface, color, shapes, brass tacks etc. for comfort,
efficiency and identification.

What are the variations that those of you who make tool handles prefer?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:17:55 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Darrell, you are not sufficiently obscessed with the esthetics of your
tools, and excessively obscessed with the esthetics of your turnings. BG

I feel that someone has to balance out the furniture quality jigs and things
that Ken Vaughn makes... I'm just doing my part to keep the cosmic field in
balance... *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:26:00 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

snip

Can't understand the weighting. It probably has something to do with the
way I cut, where the tool is firm to the rest, and rarely extends more than
an inch or two before I move in closer. To me it's just weight I have to
bear. I'm always happy when I put down the big gouge
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...Is-A-Gouge.jpg
because the next one feels feather-light. The reference coin is a quarter,
and the handle is the way I like both women and handles.

Why do people who weight the handle do it?

My guess isn't for weight or mass, but balance?

2 of my Oland tools are long bolts with the hex head intact... the one that I
made with the head cut off just doesn't have the same "feel"... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

It somehow seems proper to have a 'no nonsense' finish on tools and
machines.

I make numerous tool handles (or handled tools, such as mallets). I
generally don't bother to re-handle commercial tools, unless said tools
break their handles, or I ever come into some of that "copious spare
time" which I now regard as about as likely as the winning lottery
ticket (and on that, I figure the odds of it blowing in my truck window
are about as good as the odds of buying it, and a lot cheaper).

I do sometimes bother to strip finish from factory handles. Shiny
handles make blisters, IME. I like a finish of ~1/3 BLO and 2/3
Butcher's bowling alley wax (clear). This is effectively equivalent to
1/3 each oil, wax, and turps, but the wax and turps come pre-mixed.
Unlike some floor waxes, there's no grit in bowling alley wax. Leaves
the handle with good feel/grip/etc.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the tool rack I finally made - an
angled shelf at least as long (or slightly longer) than your longest
tool/gouge/etc that will be in it (which prevents cutting yourself on
the tips unless you try hard), with dividers and lip to hold them in
place, tips-up, visible, ready to use. Not my idea, just my
implementation, and seems better to me than some of the other
suggestions in the "corral" thread, or my usual "lay them across the bed
of the lathe".

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

There are many variations; pipe, weighted wood, out of round cross
section, cushioned surface, color, shapes, brass tacks etc. for comfort,
efficiency and identification.

Hey Arch, did you notice, in the latest AAW Journal, the handles the
Austrian guys were using on their 1" bowl gouges for turning that 13
foot bowl? They appear to be naturally curved branch sections and in one
of the pictures appears to wrap around the hip of the one guy as he's
cutting. Looks pretty cool but I don't know if I'd be able to release
enough A/R-iveness to actually give it a go. Just not quite neat, clean
and polished enough...

To illustrate my hang-up, here's a pic of a set of small detailing tools
I've been making over the last year or so as the needs arise:
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/Ebonyhandtools.jpg
Gaboon Ebony handles with brass ferrules for the two round skews and
small straight hollower; the gooseneck hollower has an African Blackwood
handle and bone ferrule. Still on the to-do list is a flat 3/8" skew as
I'm not thrilled with the round ones.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Owen, It was going so well, why did you have to go and mess up my
argument?

A.R. or not, your shop made tools are beautiful, truly works of
_legitimate art.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) your shop made tools are beautiful, truly works
of_legitimate art.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree they are beautiful. But, does that make them art? I say yes. But,
Arch, that is a whole 'nother discussion. (Which I think we've been over
before.)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

....and to add insult to injury, Owen photographed those beauties on the
bed of his new Oneway. What, me jealous!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
...and to add insult to injury, Owen photographed those beauties on the
bed of his new Oneway. What, me jealous!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

===But Arch, that can't be a real lathe! No drips, drops, dust, dings! It
is probably a Photoshop creation! Who you trying to kid, Owen? *G*

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming

Owen - that's sick. :-)

I use whatever is straight and on top of the firewood pile. In my neck
of the woods, that is usually eucalyptus. No finish, but I do
typically cut three grooves in the butt end for a bit of flash.

Joe Fleming - San Diego.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

But Arch, that can't be a real lathe! No drips, drops, dust, dings! It
is probably a Photoshop creation! Who you trying to kid, Owen?

Well... I did PhotoShop the dust off a number of areas as well as
removed the drywall screws in the background. Not because I had to, but
because I could. :-)

Give me time for the drips, drops, dust and dings - it's only bean 2
weeks fercryinoutloud!

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Hey, po' folks got po' ways - and the others? Well......

And big dogs? Well.....
'Scuse me, I have to get back to the porch.

TomNie

"Arch" wrote in message
...and to add insult to injury, Owen photographed those beauties on the
bed of his new Oneway. What, me jealous!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article . com,
"Joe Fleming" wrote:

Owen - that's sick. :-)

My inspiration in making these this fancy is in part my appreciation of
H.O Studley's legacy. Perhaps some of my future mini-tool handles should
include little bone inlays or compartments of some sort to hold some
doodad.

I use whatever is straight and on top of the firewood pile. In my neck
of the woods, that is usually eucalyptus. No finish, but I do
typically cut three grooves in the butt end for a bit of flash.

Nothing wrong with that - all of the other handles I've made are from
scraps, though I've never used a complete branch section like the
Austrian world-record bowl guys.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default A vs. C - was: Getting a handle...

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

I agree they are beautiful. But, does that make them art? I say yes. But,
Arch, that is a whole 'nother discussion. (Which I think we've been over
before.)

Thanks Arch and Leo. Not art in my opinion. Good craftsmanship perhaps
but not art.

Yes, Leo, we've been over this before. Over and over. But every now and
then I mull the opinions I've read here and in print publications,
trying to solidify my own opinions and come to a firmer stand on how I
define Art. The more I think about Art vs. Craft with respect to
woodturning, I'm coming to the belief that 99.9% of what I see and
99.99% of what I create is Artistic Craftsmanship. This includes
practically all of the "big name" turners.

Jim Christiansen's work of late seems to fit the Art label though:
http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym200...cfm?record=182
(I was actually looking for a link to the piece to the back and right of this one. It's

got 3 human figures holding the box on their shoulders.

And in collaboration with Garrit Van Ness:
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/exhibitions/screamer.htm

For me, these two pieces elicit an emotional response above and beyond
any prettiness to the wood or appreciation of technique. I want to know
the story of the artist's intention. I want to study them further to see
what they are "saying" to me. I don't get this desire with other
turnings I view - especially my mini-tool handles.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

[...]

How could it be said better. The examples save a thousand words and
establish the difference of craft = 1 and art = 10. The viewer can decide if
that's ascending or descending order. Good post, Owen.

TomNie

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners