Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default A vs. C - was: Getting a handle...

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

I agree they are beautiful. But, does that make them art? I say yes. But,
Arch, that is a whole 'nother discussion. (Which I think we've been over
before.)

Thanks Arch and Leo. Not art in my opinion. Good craftsmanship perhaps
but not art.

Yes, Leo, we've been over this before. Over and over. But every now and
then I mull the opinions I've read here and in print publications,
trying to solidify my own opinions and come to a firmer stand on how I
define Art. The more I think about Art vs. Craft with respect to
woodturning, I'm coming to the belief that 99.9% of what I see and
99.99% of what I create is Artistic Craftsmanship. This includes
practically all of the "big name" turners.

Jim Christiansen's work of late seems to fit the Art label though:
http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym200...cfm?record=182
(I was actually looking for a link to the piece to the back and right of this one. It's

got 3 human figures holding the box on their shoulders.

And in collaboration with Garrit Van Ness:
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/exhibitions/screamer.htm

For me, these two pieces elicit an emotional response above and beyond
any prettiness to the wood or appreciation of technique. I want to know
the story of the artist's intention. I want to study them further to see
what they are "saying" to me. I don't get this desire with other
turnings I view - especially my mini-tool handles.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.