Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Tongue in cheek? Maybe.

If you do the crime...................

Actually, solid-body birdhouses are fine with me. Heck, I even did a few
solid-body ornaments when I started turning. No one here chastised me
openly, but I could hear the clucking in the background, though. (Now, my
skills have improved and I do hollow ornaments.) Your recipients likely
won't know the difference.

Barry

"Arch" wrote in message
Today, I plan to turn several miniature bird houses to give away and I
can't find my woodturning rule book. Would someone look up the ornament
rules?

I plan to suspend the ornaments from small stands of wood and wire.
Since they will remain on the stands for show and not for the birds,
would it be ok with you all for me to spindle turn the tiny ornaments in
one solid piece? If it's allowed, maybe I'll use lightweight wood. Will
the turning referee throw the yellow penalty flag if I don't care enough
to turn my very best?

I don't want to be drummed out of the hobby, but hollowed two piece
miniatures would take more time to make (for me at least) and add little
to appearance. IIRC, solid mushrooms, snowmen and weedpots are allowed
and I could save hollowed two piece work for boxes.

I realize there are severe penalties, so I anxiously await while my
infraction is under review for introvertible evidence that I stepped out
of bounds. TIA. TIC,?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming

Arch,

No penalties incurred according to my rule book. To turn an object to
a desired design is what the rules require. In your case, the book
clearly states that if the designer intends for the object to be a
stand-mounted ornament of a weight greater than the average tree can
support, it is allowed. Hollowing or not and wood species are not
designated.

But who are you kidding. A quad axel figure skating jump is not a
required discipline in the figure skating rule book either, but the
skaters go for it because of the challenge. So, turn a solid, mediocre
quality piece. Legal, but boring.

On the other hand, if we are talking about commerce, then the game is
different. Legal and boring in the commerce game is called efficiency
which leads, potentially, to higher margins.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Mighty quick whistle, Lobby. (Tongue in Cheek)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
(Arch) wrote:

Mighty quick whistle, Lobby. (Tongue in Cheek)

Hmm. I was thinking Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme's Disease.

LD

====Or "one of pain?"*G*

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
WillR

Arch wrote:
Today, I plan to turn several miniature bird houses to give away and I
can't find my woodturning rule book. Would someone look up the ornament
rules?

I have -- what's the question?

I plan to suspend the ornaments from small stands of wood and wire.
Since they will remain on the stands for show and not for the birds,
would it be ok with you all for me to spindle turn the tiny ornaments in
one solid piece?

If you have no previous penalties or convictions...

If it's allowed, maybe I'll use lightweight wood.

Only for chickadee houses.

Will the turning referee throw the yellow penalty flag if I don't care enough
to turn my very best?

Yes!

I don't want to be drummed out of the hobby, but hollowed two piece
miniatures would take more time to make (for me at least) and add little
to appearance.

But you get more points...

IIRC, solid mushrooms, snowmen and weedpots are allowed
and I could save hollowed two piece work for boxes.

I realize there are severe penalties, so I anxiously await while my
infraction is under review for introvertible evidence that I stepped out
of bounds. TIA. TIC,?

Maybe -- but you can purchase an indulgence from the high priest (or the
grand bishop) to El GOT (God of Turning)

You may send the purchase price to my address -- I will personally
review your case with the bishop.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Arch:

For ornaments for those who won't steam the top off the birdhouse to
look to see how you did it, hollow the easy way. When I am getting my
ornaments done (seems more of a family requirement than just a gift
these days) I throw the wooden victim in the chuck, round it to about 1
3/4" or so (heavy on the "or so"), and drill out the birdhouse body
with a 1 1/2" forstner bit.

I make a few rooftops first, and have them drilled out to the desired
diameter of the ornment body. Then I can use my calipers to fine tune
the fit of the body to the top/roof perfectly.

Then I glue on the roof, sand, finish, and work on a simple little
icicle for the bottom of the ornament (on the headstock side). Part it
off and it is done.

My variant is to also make a few icicles out of old pen blank pieces
and turn them with a small divot in them like a golf tee. When I am
ready to part off the finished ornament, I don't worry about finishing
the last 1/4" diameter. I part it off to roughly mate/match the divot
in the icicle piece, and glue the finished icicle onto the area left by
parting off. After glueing, it is finished.

No matter what your shape is, you can drill these out instead of
hollowing. No, they won't be perfect, but probably the folks they go
to won't worry if your ornament is pear shaped and your hollowing is a
cylinder. How would they know? If they are that picky, turn them a
piece of coal!

Set up to make about 10 of these at a time and you will be surprised
how an assembly line will work.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

Will
the turning referee throw the yellow penalty flag if I don't care enough
to turn my very best?

My 7 year old is planning on having a table at this weekend's Kid's
Craft and Art Fair at our city library. Entry is free, table is free. 18
year olds and younger. She wants to sell spin tops. I turn them. She's
turned some with my hands-on tool guidance, but that would take waaay
too long to make any number of the things, so she paints them as they
spin on the lathe after I'm finished but before they're completely
parted off.

She's using acrylic paints thinned with water which causes raised grain.
I *was* sanding the tops to 320, but after the paint dries, they feel on
the rough side and resanding removes some of the color. Since she's
seems thrilled with the results and is selling them for $1 each I find
myself not putting in the time to do my very best.

Don't get me wrong - the shapes are nice, the cuts are clean and smooth,
but I'm struggling with letting go of the details and attention I would
normally put into a piece.

Anyone got an enema for anal-retentiveness?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Owen Lowe wrote:

Anyone got an enema for anal-retentiveness?

Hot Tub.

tongue and grove M a J Woodworking 11 November 26th 05 12:41 AM
tongue and grove Cyrille de Brébisson Woodworking 18 September 27th 05 09:42 PM
laying tongue and grove floorbaord the "wrong" way urchaidh UK diy 8 August 6th 05 01:43 PM
Mr. Coffee parts rip-off TomKan Home Repair 26 July 4th 05 05:37 PM
Tongue and Groove Ceilings Glenna Rose Woodworking 1 January 15th 05 06:30 PM