riverrat

Default Kaleidoscope turning

As a newbie to turning (only turned slim line pens and a few odd ball
things) I would like to know about how to turn the kaleidoscope kits that
Penn State sells.
Our 2yr old grandaughter has been diagnosed with leukimia and has only been
given 2-3 mos. and I would really like to turn her something special. Would
appreciate any suggestions on how to do something special and make a one of
a kind turning. Thank you for your time.

George Klein

riverrat wrote:
As a newbie to turning (only turned slim line pens and a few odd ball
things) I would like to know about how to turn the kaleidoscope kits that
Penn State sells.
Our 2yr old grandaughter has been diagnosed with leukimia and has only been
given 2-3 mos. and I would really like to turn her something special. Would
appreciate any suggestions on how to do something special and make a one of
a kind turning. Thank you for your time.

George Klein

Evenin" George:

Turning the Kaleidoscopes is not that much different than a pen with
the exception that the end to end dimention is very important. Make
sure that it is dead on! You can either buy the blanks already drilled,
or get the forsner bit and drill your own. The bearings are very large.
I usually try to turn the ends like the side of a bead. This gives more
material at the stress point. I would suggest the Wand type. There is
less to assemble than there is with the egg.

The Other Bruce

Earl

I, too, would suggest the mini wand type. I've done several and haven't
messed with getting the special bearings or anything. I just cut the
blank over length and over size, glue it to a scrap block, drill it on
the lathe, then gently snug up the live bearing in the hole, follow the
instructions exactly, working from the tail end, then part it off at
the exact length. This will only work easily with the mini wand, but
they are great presents and actually only take a few minutes to turn
and a few more to assemble.
Earl

Leo Lichtman

"riverrat" wrote: (clip) how to turn the kaleidoscope kits that Penn State
sells. Our 2yr old grandaughter has been diagnosed with leukimia and has
only been
given 2-3 mos. and I would really like to turn her something special.
(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is sad, and I think I speak for everyone here in offering our sympathy
to all that are close to her. Your idea to build a kaleidoscope is
commendable--I think it is just the kind of toy that will fascinate a
two-year old.

Have you checked with Penn State for instructions? When I buy from
Woodcraft, they furnish instructions with their pens, and, I presume, with
their other kits also. I would assume that Penn State might do the same.
In fact, Woodcraft told me that I can download any of their instructions
from their website. (I have not tried.)

Tom Weber

riverrat wrote:
As a newbie to turning (only turned slim line pens and a few odd ball
things) I would like to know about how to turn the kaleidoscope kits that
Penn State sells.
Our 2yr old grandaughter has been diagnosed with leukimia and has only been
given 2-3 mos. and I would really like to turn her something special. Would
appreciate any suggestions on how to do something special and make a one of
a kind turning. Thank you for your time.

George Klein

George,
The instructions are here on the PSI site.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=LIBR&Store_Code=PSI

Hope this helps.
Tom Weber