Default Kaleidoscope turning

riverrat wrote:
As a newbie to turning (only turned slim line pens and a few odd ball
things) I would like to know about how to turn the kaleidoscope kits that
Penn State sells.
Our 2yr old grandaughter has been diagnosed with leukimia and has only been
given 2-3 mos. and I would really like to turn her something special. Would
appreciate any suggestions on how to do something special and make a one of
a kind turning. Thank you for your time.

George Klein

Evenin" George:

Turning the Kaleidoscopes is not that much different than a pen with
the exception that the end to end dimention is very important. Make
sure that it is dead on! You can either buy the blanks already drilled,
or get the forsner bit and drill your own. The bearings are very large.
I usually try to turn the ends like the side of a bead. This gives more
material at the stress point. I would suggest the Wand type. There is
less to assemble than there is with the egg.

The Other Bruce