Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John DeBoo

Default Chucks or alternatives

Went into my local Woodcraft today to buy a Nova Midi chuck for my Jet
Midi 1014 and the salesperson convinced(?) me this was not the one for
me by telling me how it would be a bad choice for me needs and that I
needed a 3rd hand to be able to mount stuff in it. I really needed the
Super Nova - which of course costs about what I paid or more for my
lathe new i year ago @ Woodcraft. I just can't rationalize doing that.

I'm a:
- Hobbiest, not a pro and doing this for fun off and on.
- Making small items, maybe a few goblets and simple bowls 10" dia max.
- No exotic woods or cuts, just general fun stuff.
- Might even make a set of chessmen one day, cedar, oak, pine, whatever.
- I have no add-ons for the lathe like *extra* faceplates etc, just what
it came with originally. Belay that, I do have an MT2 1/2" drill chuck.

Looking for a viable alternative to the Nova chuck and/or a SAFE and
proven means of doing that sort of work with something else that is cost
effective. Snagged 2 books from the library to day to assist. Turning
Wood by Raffan and Woodturning by Rowley. But I thought I'd ask the
experts here also and see what shakes out. Would appreciate, pointers,
tips, links and opinions.

Thanks,
John D.