Tom Nie

Default New personal lathe

I think today is the day - FINALLY. Tons of research and questions of great
folks here, at club meetings, and schools. Lots of soul searching. Much of
this equipment thing is very subjective.

I'm choosing the 3520A instead of the Jet 1642 or the 3520B.
Between the A & B the difference to me is the cost savings since I view the
B's improvements not worth the difference (hopefully not a mistake!!).
$2,299 including freight for the A. Between the A & 1642 it's the mass,
size of the ways & banjo, and capacity for green bowls which can shake about
anything.

I think the A will cover the largest bowls I might do. Leaves me to get
something like a 1236 with 115v for traveling in my toybox camper instead of
a bigger lathe later. Robert will be thrilled that another retiree has
joined the "woodturning business".

And the Powermatic 14C bandsaw. Hopefully I can effectively resaw a little
too. It gets rave reviews from a ton of people.

And then off to the Extravaganza this Friday to buy the toy accessories.
Then it's wiring the shop, lighting, etc. This thrills the wife since I
haven't even finished building this house and now it's another project for
my time!

You guys have given great advice and are terrific for sharing your
experience and opinions. Lots of great folks post this rcw.

I thank you.

TomNie

Tom Nie wrote:

Robert will be thrilled that another retiree has
joined the "woodturning business".

Alright, Tom. Nuthin' personal. And I say a hearty "hail fellow well
met" to anyone that gets into this with the intent of having a good
time. We sure need more of that.

I sure hope you continue to post here and share your experiences along
the way. People come and go here, but more importantly there are so
many that are so talented that give so much as you have seen.

I came here many years ago (diiferent ISPs, different anti spam names,
etc.) when out local club was just too dull and inexperienced. If it
was not for this group, I probably would not be turning today.

Good luck with the new lathe! Get set up and let us all know how you
are doing.

Robert

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM
What can I do with a lathe? Silvan Metalworking 20 November 7th 03 02:27 AM
Dead Man's Tools Tom Watson Woodworking 35 July 20th 03 03:59 PM