Tom Nie

Default New personal lathe

I think today is the day - FINALLY. Tons of research and questions of great
folks here, at club meetings, and schools. Lots of soul searching. Much of
this equipment thing is very subjective.

I'm choosing the 3520A instead of the Jet 1642 or the 3520B.
Between the A & B the difference to me is the cost savings since I view the
B's improvements not worth the difference (hopefully not a mistake!!).
$2,299 including freight for the A. Between the A & 1642 it's the mass,
size of the ways & banjo, and capacity for green bowls which can shake about
anything.

I think the A will cover the largest bowls I might do. Leaves me to get
something like a 1236 with 115v for traveling in my toybox camper instead of
a bigger lathe later. Robert will be thrilled that another retiree has
joined the "woodturning business".

And the Powermatic 14C bandsaw. Hopefully I can effectively resaw a little
too. It gets rave reviews from a ton of people.

And then off to the Extravaganza this Friday to buy the toy accessories.
Then it's wiring the shop, lighting, etc. This thrills the wife since I
haven't even finished building this house and now it's another project for
my time!

You guys have given great advice and are terrific for sharing your
experience and opinions. Lots of great folks post this rcw.

I thank you.

TomNie