Default Chuck for Powermatic Model 90

I just picked up a Powermatic model 90 that was in good shape. It
needed to have the transformer, motor, and coil rewired for 220v 3
phase which I did today. It had a live center stuck in the tailstock
and I got that out today also. Also, the handwheel on the tailstock was
gone but the stub was still there with the key way and woodruff key.
Off to the lathe and I had a new handwheel in about an hour.

Now comes the problem. My old chuck will not fit the 1 1/2-8 spindle
thread. I have checked all of the chucks offered such as the Supernova
and the Oneway's and it looks like the only one that offers an adapter
is Oneway on their Stronghold Chuck.

Anybody have any suggestions on another chuck that will fit this lathe?

Thanks, Steve

Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) it looks like the only one that offers
an adapter is Oneway on their Stronghold Chuck. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If, by "adapter," you mean the interchangeable threaded insert that fits
into the chuck, I say go for it. The One-way Stronghold is extremely well
made. I cannot recall ever hearing of a dis-satisfied owner.

tom

I think it's on sale now, at Woodcraft? Yes, save $30! Tom

billh

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just picked up a Powermatic model 90 that was in good shape. It
needed to have the transformer, motor, and coil rewired for 220v 3
phase which I did today. It had a live center stuck in the tailstock
and I got that out today also. Also, the handwheel on the tailstock was
gone but the stub was still there with the key way and woodruff key.
Off to the lathe and I had a new handwheel in about an hour.

Now comes the problem. My old chuck will not fit the 1 1/2-8 spindle
thread. I have checked all of the chucks offered such as the Supernova
and the Oneway's and it looks like the only one that offers an adapter
is Oneway on their Stronghold Chuck.

Anybody have any suggestions on another chuck that will fit this lathe?

Thanks, Steve

Look at Vicmarc if you don't want a Oneway. However, I have 2 Oneway
Strongholds which are great chucks.
Billh

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 2:44:03 PM UTC-6, SteveG wrote:
replying to , SteveG wrote:
Sierevello wrote:

I just picked up a Powermatic model 90 that was in good shape. It
needed to have the transformer, motor, and coil rewired for 220v 3
phase which I did today. It had a live center stuck in the tailstock
and I got that out today also. Also, the handwheel on the tailstock was
gone but the stub was still there with the key way and woodruff key.
Off to the lathe and I had a new handwheel in about an hour.

Now comes the problem. My old chuck will not fit the 1 1/2-8 spindle
thread. I have checked all of the chucks offered such as the Supernova
and the Oneway's and it looks like the only one that offers an adapter
is Oneway on their Stronghold Chuck.

Anybody have any suggestions on another chuck that will fit this lathe?

Thanks, Steve

https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/supp...hucks-adapters

I have not found an adapter or chuck that will fit my M-90 either....It is
a very nice machine would like to keep it around...Please contact me if you
found a solution

Kind Regards,
-Steve

--

Both Vicmarc 120 and Oneway Stronghold chucks have separate adaptors. Both offer adaptors in 1.5"x8tpi (1 1/2 x 8) threading that fits the Powermatic 90 lathe head. Just do a search for either of these chucks and you will see the adaptor offered.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Shipping Question/Nova Chucks Walter H. Klaus Woodturning 11 December 6th 04 06:42 PM
Runout on 3 Jaw Chuck Steve Metalworking 5 October 14th 03 02:30 AM
UPDATE on Stuck Chuck Backplate! Steve Metalworking 0 October 9th 03 06:42 AM
Need info re spindle taper and stuck chuck on Craftsman 150 drill press Bruno Woodworking 3 September 23rd 03 07:13 PM