Walter H. Klaus

Default Anyone Aircondition their Lathe room

Has anyone tried to air condition their lathe area or room. How do you keep
your coils from getting loaded with dust ?.

Walter H. Klaus

Denis Lalonde

Blow out with compressed air and vacuum after...

--
Denis Lalonde
Oshawa, ON

Kip

Walter H. Klaus wrote:
Has anyone tried to air condition their lathe area or room. How do you keep
your coils from getting loaded with dust ?.

Walter H. Klaus

My previous shop was a 10X12 shed and had a 10 volt A/C. You don't
keep the coils from gettting loaded, but you can keep the output of
cool air at an acceptable level by periodic cleaning of the coils using
a brass wire brush to knock off the build up. A washable foam filter
in front of the coil helps, but won't catch the finer dust. Suggest
that you inspect regularly, clean as necessary. Cleaning frequency
will vary with how much work you do, how efficient your sanding dust
collection is, etc

Hope this helps
Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Martin H. Eastburn

Why not put a air cleaner just before the air input ?
Protect the chiller and protect you.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Walter H. Klaus wrote:
Has anyone tried to air condition their lathe area or room. How do you keep
your coils from getting loaded with dust ?.

Walter H. Klaus

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Walter

Is it possible for you to take clean outside air, maybe through a heat
exchanger so as not to lose too much of your cooled air energy input,
the heat exchanger should not load up as bad as the AC
Just My way of looking at it.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Walter H. Klaus wrote:
Has anyone tried to air condition their lathe area or room. How do you keep
your coils from getting loaded with dust ?.

Walter H. Klaus

George

"Walter H. Klaus" wrote in message
Has anyone tried to air condition their lathe area or room. How do you
keep
your coils from getting loaded with dust ?.

Not your biggest problem with AC. Biggest problem is that it pulls
humidity. Unless you're talking short-term use, I'd put a sweatband on and
take the stress off the wood.

My dehumidifier (basement) requires sufficient time to dry the vanes before
I can blow the paper off with compressed air, and I think there is still a
slow buildup that I can't catch. Means cleaning before you use the air, not
after.

I'd concentrate on collecting sanding dust at the source, use distance and
foam filter over the vanes for the AC. Martin's suggestion of a furnace
filter upstream of that wouldn't hurt, either.

Dan Bollinger

Has anyone tried to air condition their lathe area or room. How do you keep
your coils from getting loaded with dust ?.

Walter H. Klaus

My shop has central air. I use those 6" thick pleated filters. They last 6-12
months depending on what I'm doing. Dan

mac davis

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 17:15:33 -0500, "Walter H. Klaus" wrote:

Has anyone tried to air condition their lathe area or room. How do you keep
your coils from getting loaded with dust ?.

Walter H. Klaus

I will be, in the house we're building in Baja, Calif.... the contractor
suggests switching the A/C in the shop from "recirculate" to "outside air"
whenever possible... He thinks that the dust collection and the filtration
system that I'm buying will get most dust before it reaches the A/C...

He has A/C in his shop and says that keeping the A/C unit clean is a lot easier
than working in the summer ( 110+ degrees and high humidity) without A/C...
After the summers in Central Calif., where I miss a lot of shop time because
it's just too hot to work, I'm really looking forward to having a finished,
insulated and cooled shop! YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Walter H. Klaus

Thanks All for you replys. I like the idea of putting the air cleaner in
line with the AC intake.

Thanks,

Walter H. Klaus