Default Help identify these chisels.

Take a look at these chisels.

http://tinyurl.com/bee9q

What are they for?
Why are they curved?
What are the triangular thing and the pry bar looking thing for?

I'm going to list them on ebay cause I will never use them but I've
never seen chisels like these before.

JB

John Martin

Take a look at these chisels.

http://tinyurl.com/bee9q

What are they for?
Why are they curved?
What are the triangular thing and the pry bar looking thing for?

I'm going to list them on ebay cause I will never use them but I've
never seen chisels like these before.

JB

They're not chisels, they're scrapers. Used by machinists for scraping
in new bearings.

John Martin

Files? They have no teeth. Are you kidding with me?
JB

Thanks. Judging from the interest in this set on ebay it's not worth my
time to list them.

http://tinyurl.com/bqmql

I had no idea what these were.

JB

Leo Lichtman

wrote: Files? They have no teeth. Are you kidding
with me?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They WERE files. They are shaped like files, but have had the teeth ground
off, so they can be used as scrapers, as John Martin says.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi other Leo

Yes that's exactly what I thought, not sure about the wavy ones, spring
steel maybe ?

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Leo Lichtman wrote:

wrote: Files? They have no teeth. Are you kidding
with me?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They WERE files. They are shaped like files, but have had the teeth ground
off, so they can be used as scrapers, as John Martin says.

Denis Marier

As stated by John Martin these appear to be scrapers used by machinists for
fitting in new bearings in their housings. The scrappers I have used are
usually padded at the end of the handle so you do not hurt your hip when
pushing. The handles are normally padded with rope or tape to ensure a good
grip for day long usage. The scrapers shown may have never been used.
The steel used in making scrapers is of high quality and harder than the
material being scraped. Judging by the photos these scrapers may or may not
be of premium steel quality for scraping steel all day long. Conversely
these tools may have been designed for removing mechanical parts from their
housing. For me to place a bid on these would require a visual check to
verify the quality of the steel and possibly their origin.
At one time makers of scrapers would stamped their logo and sometime the
date and place. FWIW

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Take a look at these chisels.

http://tinyurl.com/bee9q

What are they for?
Why are they curved?
What are the triangular thing and the pry bar looking thing for?

I'm going to list them on ebay cause I will never use them but I've
never seen chisels like these before.

JB

They're not chisels, they're scrapers. Used by machinists for scraping
in new bearings.

John Martin

Leo Lichtman wrote:

They WERE files.

I don't think they ever were files, but they came very close to it.

In Sheffield, lots of file makers also made scrapers. An identical file
blank would be taken off the line before the teeth were cut, curved and
then sharpened and polished. The steel requirements are the same and
many of the shapes are similar.

In the workshop, it was traditional to make your wown scrapers from old
files by annealing them, filing the old teeth off, bending to shape,
then re-hardening and sharpening as a scraper.

As these appear to have no trace of file teeth at all, I think they
were made as scrapers. Usually when re-cycling files into scrapers you
just take the teeth off around the edges and flatten the tops a little.
The remaining teeth make a good chequered grip.

The box is unusual - it's carefully made to store curved scrapers
without damaging their edges, yet it doesn't seem to leave space for
handles. This is the work of someone who looked after their tools more
than their hands - a bare file/scraper tang stuck in the palm is a
nasty injury.

John Martin

Denis Marier wrote:
[...]

Denis:

The bearing scrapers are most often used sideways, inside a bearing.
Since you're not pushing endwise as you would be in scraping a flat
surface, grabbing the tang is not a problem.

I recall seeing these sometimes with Navy markings on the box.

John Martin

BobS

The curved ones typically are called "riflers" and I'm not positive on that
spelling. The others - save one - all have the shape of standard files. And
no - you can't really see that they don't have any teeth and you never said
that in your original post. So no - I wasn't kidding you and as someone else
mentioned, they may have started out as files.

oups.com...