william_b_noble

Default new item available - carving/painting stand

I've been asked several times to make a stand that will fit into the banjo
in lieu of the tool rest so you can screw a faceplate or chuck onto it (with
the work attached, of course) that way you have a convenient holder for the
work while you carve it, or paint it, or burn it, or .....

So, I've updated my web site to show this and of course give you a chance to
buy it - just go to my web (www.wbnoble.com) and click on faceplates (of
course, I would be happy to sell you faceplates also...)

As with the faceplates, I'm trying to make these as inexpensively as
possible - this item gave me an excuse (that's the honest way of saying
"requirement") to buy a metal cutting portable band saw - so help me
maintain my illusion that there is a relationship between my "requirement"
and what I'm offering ---- maybe if I sell about a billion of them, I'll
break even on the saw - but it's a very cool saw.

--
Bill

also check out http://www.wbnoble.com

unk

Bill

What are your payment options? Will you post these on Ebay so we who have a
paypal account can buy them from you there?

Thanks

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1122144041.6e972dcdbf0e08259e9cf47674182da9@t eranews...
[...]

Prometheus

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:40:40 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

I've been asked several times to make a stand that will fit into the banjo
in lieu of the tool rest so you can screw a faceplate or chuck onto it (with
the work attached, of course) that way you have a convenient holder for the
work while you carve it, or paint it, or burn it, or .....

That's not a bad idea... You planning on offering one for Midi/mini
lathes at some future point? Tool post needs to be 5/8" dia, and the
faceplace has #8 / 1" dia. threads, IIRC.

So, I've updated my web site to show this and of course give you a chance to
buy it - just go to my web (www.wbnoble.com) and click on faceplates (of
course, I would be happy to sell you faceplates also...)

As with the faceplates, I'm trying to make these as inexpensively as
possible - this item gave me an excuse (that's the honest way of saying
"requirement") to buy a metal cutting portable band saw - so help me
maintain my illusion that there is a relationship between my "requirement"
and what I'm offering ---- maybe if I sell about a billion of them, I'll
break even on the saw - but it's a very cool saw.

George

wrote:

I've been asked several times to make a stand that will fit into the banjo
in lieu of the tool rest so you can screw a faceplate or chuck onto it
(with
the work attached, of course) that way you have a convenient holder for
the
work while you carve it, or paint it, or burn it, or .....

That's not a bad idea... You planning on offering one for Midi/mini
lathes at some future point? Tool post needs to be 5/8" dia, and the
faceplace has #8 / 1" dia. threads, IIRC.

Something like this, eh? http://www.bestwoodtools.com/

william_b_noble

yes, no problem making them with 1X8 tpi thread and 5/8 shaft - I included
this on my web ($10 each), but haven't made one up to add a photo - of
course it will look just like the larger one since there is no way to tell
the scale from the photo.

And, no, these are simpler than the one that george points out in another
message - no pivot - remember, my goal is to keep your cost to an absolute
minimum while giving you a functional capability. I don't make anything
that is already on the market at less than 2X what I can offer it for. that
particular articulated carving post is $149, I'm offering my simpler one for
$10. I guess that's enough cheaper, no?

wrote:

[...]

Prometheus

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:05:04 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

yes, no problem making them with 1X8 tpi thread and 5/8 shaft - I included
this on my web ($10 each), but haven't made one up to add a photo - of
course it will look just like the larger one since there is no way to tell
the scale from the photo.

And, no, these are simpler than the one that george points out in another
message - no pivot - remember, my goal is to keep your cost to an absolute
minimum while giving you a functional capability. I don't make anything
that is already on the market at less than 2X what I can offer it for. that
particular articulated carving post is $149, I'm offering my simpler one for
$10. I guess that's enough cheaper, no?

Sure is. I figure for $149, a wooden dowel stuck in a piece of scrap
works almost as well- but for $10, it's a good deal.

George

wrote:

yes, no problem making them with 1X8 tpi thread and 5/8 shaft - I included
this on my web ($10 each), but haven't made one up to add a photo - of
course it will look just like the larger one since there is no way to tell
the scale from the photo.

And, no, these are simpler than the one that george points out in another
message - no pivot - remember, my goal is to keep your cost to an absolute
minimum while giving you a functional capability. I don't make anything
that is already on the market at less than 2X what I can offer it for.
that
particular articulated carving post is $149, I'm offering my simpler one
for
$10. I guess that's enough cheaper, no?

Sure is. I figure for $149, a wooden dowel stuck in a piece of scrap
works almost as well- but for $10, it's a good deal.

Lucky me. I have 1" 8TPI, so I sawed the head off of a bolt and grip that
in the banjo to thread down. Bolt and jam nut came in at around $2.25.