Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Owen Lowe

Default Oneway Decision & Budget

Howdy all. I'm looking to take a few leaps upward from my Delta midi
that has served me so well for 4 years now. Learned everything I know on
that little machine but the time has come for more size, speed control,
precision, solidity and neanerbility.

Would have seriously considered a Serious Lathe had Bernie Mares
retained the company - but now I'm headed toward a Oneway.

Looking at the Oneway 1640 which would serve probably about 90% of what
I do at this stage in my development. I do have two ideas rattling
around that I'd like to explore and would likely need the 24" outboard
capability. Going with the 1640, 2 hp, fully equipped to turn outboard
would set me back about $4800.

Comparing to a 2036 & 2436, I could get one equally equipped (w/2 hp)
but with the addition of the 96 point indexing for $ $5225 and $5500,
respectively. That makes for a difference of: 1640:2036 = $425 and
1640:2436 = $700. This wouldn't allow outboard right off the bat but
would give me all the capability I'd ever need - plus, for the odd
outboard work, I would likely be able to borrow the outboard bed from a
friend.

Questions - Looking at the 1640 with outboard extension:

* Is there really enough support without a leg below the extension to
have no problems with vibration?

* What's the between centers distance with the tailstock riser in place?

Question:
Does it make any difference on where the lathe is ordered since everyone
has the same price? I suspect all of the dealers (Craft Supplies,
Packard and Woodcraft) have the lathe drop-shipped or whatever it's
called, in which the lathe is shipped directly from Oneway. Is there any
advantage ordering directly from Oneway or going through a non-local
dealer?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm

NEW ONEWAY FORUM [email protected] Woodturning 0 March 24th 05 02:55 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD? Gunner Metalworking 127 December 18th 03 01:36 PM
Broken oneway :( **An update!** spin doctor Woodturning 0 August 25th 03 07:51 AM