Default Making an Oland-style tool - questions

I am in the process of making an Oland-style tool similar to that found
on Darrel Feltmate's site (http://www.aroundthewoods.com). I am going
to be making a pointed tool from a 1/4" HSS metal-lathe toolbit. My
question is do I grind the relief-angle(s) first, then the point? OR
Do I grind the point, then the relief angle(s)? OR Does it really even
matter which is first?

Thanks in Advance

Bill W

lionslair at consolidated dot net

I am in the process of making an Oland-style tool similar to that found
on Darrel Feltmate's site (
http://www.aroundthewoods.com). I am going
to be making a pointed tool from a 1/4" HSS metal-lathe toolbit. My
question is do I grind the relief-angle(s) first, then the point? OR
Do I grind the point, then the relief angle(s)? OR Does it really even
matter which is first?

Thanks in Advance

Bill W

Chicken and the egg question... :-)

In metal work, I have a steel lathe and mill..... I preform the cutter
then and when it is proper do I cut the relief angles in. This way,
the physical tool could move around the end during grinding - to much here -
give some up there... and once completed and preliminary fine grinding - grind
and polish all edges. The shiny pretty edge is the sharpest. Use an eye piece
or a magnifier to see the edge. Yes, even with tons of pressure, I shave steel.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Darrell Feltmate

Bill
I grind the angle first and then use the jig to point it if I am going for a
point. Usually I just use the jig to give a nicely rounded tip.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Questions on making reed valve spring steel & copper gaskets? Jason D. Metalworking 5 January 13th 05 12:58 AM
Confessions of a tool junkie M Wingett Woodworking 3 July 22nd 04 11:36 PM
Making bookshelves questions: Reteplav UK diy 7 July 31st 03 10:43 AM