lionslair at consolidated dot net

I am in the process of making an Oland-style tool similar to that found
on Darrel Feltmate's site (
http://www.aroundthewoods.com). I am going
to be making a pointed tool from a 1/4" HSS metal-lathe toolbit. My
question is do I grind the relief-angle(s) first, then the point? OR
Do I grind the point, then the relief angle(s)? OR Does it really even
matter which is first?

Thanks in Advance

Bill W

Chicken and the egg question... :-)

In metal work, I have a steel lathe and mill..... I preform the cutter
then and when it is proper do I cut the relief angles in. This way,
the physical tool could move around the end during grinding - to much here -
give some up there... and once completed and preliminary fine grinding - grind
and polish all edges. The shiny pretty edge is the sharpest. Use an eye piece
or a magnifier to see the edge. Yes, even with tons of pressure, I shave steel.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life