Bill

Default Two gloats

First: On Sunday my wife spontaneously announced that I needed to buy a
new chain saw. Since she's right, on Monday I bought one.

Second: On Tuesday, while she was driving home she noticed a good sized
/ storm damaged paper birch and brought it to my attention.

Man, woman and chainsaw promptly got in the pickup truck but the homeowner
wasn't home. So I left a business card with a note that I owned a chainsaw
and would finish dropping the tree in exchange for the wood. Today the
owner called me back and said to 'go for it'.

The net result is one brand new chainsaw and a 16" dia. birch in my
backyard in 4' - 6' lengths. Lots of branches for pens and goblets, too.
Some of it is already spalted (a poorly trimmed branch allowed entry and
ultimately doomed the tree) and there were a couple nice crotches. I see
at least 3 bowls from crotch wood ... mebbe 5.

Bill
Dr. Deb

Bill wrote:

[...]

Anyone who shoots Bill will be excused on the basis of "justifiable
homicide." :-)

Deb

Richard Clements

Dr. Deb wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

now that wasn't called for, it's only a birch tree, if it was say 200 year
old cherry tree, or maybe black walnut then I'll start handing out the
torches, somebody get the pitchforks!

all that a side you suck!
--
if corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, where dose
baby oil come from?
George

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone who shoots Bill will be excused on the basis of "justifiable
homicide." :-)

Deb

now that wasn't called for, it's only a birch tree, if it was say 200 year
old cherry tree, or maybe black walnut then I'll start handing out the
torches, somebody get the pitchforks!

all that a side you suck!
--

With 85 year old cherry running to 5' diameter, and probably full of brown
rot, I'd have to wonder about a 200. Every time I'd ski past them, I could

Vic Baron

"Bill" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.09.03.20.16.544692@notarealserver .com...
[...]

YOU'VE BEN HAD!

I agree that your wife and the homeowner probably conspired to get you to do
the work for a chainsaw and some free wood.

There's one born every minute.

you suck!

Bill

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:00:11 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

Anyone who shoots Bill will be excused on the basis of "justifiable
homicide." :-)

Deb

I'll donate a quarter toward the ammunition ... I deserve to be shot.

In fact, I should be shot dead. Twice.

(GRIN!)

I have also been given a small pear tree (about 14" at the base and 12"
at the three foot mark) and a box-elder tree (both still standing) from a
soon-to-be construction site. I had to wait for Woodcraft to get me some
green wood sealer, though. Aint no way I'm going to drop that pear tree
without the sealer right there. I rethought my order and bumped it up to 2
gallons today. I'll get started on those trees this weekend. What I have
in mind is to drop them and cut them up for bowls right where they fall
ala Bill Grumbine. Then seal them immediately and take only the 'keeper
wood' home.

Last fall I scored a pile of ancient maple that is so highly figured
there's no way to make lumber out of it and so big around that I'm not
even thinking about cutting into it until I get a bigger lathe. Oh, and a
cherry stump about 3' tall and 4' diameter. I took it out in 6' thick
slabs (that being the biggest I could wrestle into the back of my pickup
truck.) I think at least one slice of the cherry is going to get neandered
into a one-piece table with drawers cut into the solid (if I can ever
figure out how to do that.

But, nice as it is, that's not the biggest / nicest thing to happen
lately. Honestly.

My eldest son dropped out of high school. After flipping burgers for a
while he decided to go get his GED. While there, he was told of a program
to send folks to trade school (Minnesota). Leaving trade school, he went
down to Florida and found work doing tech support for a smallish CAD-CAM
company and eventually got married. So far, so good ... but it gets better.

Over the course of about 5 years, the company moved him up to their head
tech support position but my son, looking around, realized that he needs
to get a degree to move any further. So he started putting himself through
college in a local school. So far, he's done well for the past two
semesters.

So well, in fact, that he's been selected for their "Honors College".

Proud of him? YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE I AM!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Leif Thorvaldson

"Bill" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.14.21.47.17.976495@notarealserver .com...
[...]

Bill! As you should be! There is all too much emphasis on shoving kids
into "college!" Lots of them are not equipped nor want to do it, and as a
result a great portion of the entering classes must undergo remedial
instruction in core subjects (readin', ritin' an' ritmatik). Either that,
or colleges dumb down their classes! Good tech schools can give a kid a
heck of an education and a subsequent good job.

Leif