Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Prometheus

Default Filling worm holes

Hello all,

I've got an approximately 8' long section of spalted maple sitting by
my lathe just waiting to be turned- I've used a bit of it, and it's
pretty nice, dried, with a good spalting pattern and a bunch of worm
holes. I kind of line the holes, but I'm a little concerned that
they're going to get filled with bits of crap over time if I leave
them open. I know some of you guys fill such things in with various
things ranging from coffee grounds to turquoise, but I'd like to keep
the appearance of a hole there. Any suggestions for a clear product
that will fill those smooth bore holes that won't yellow too much with
time, or pop out if the humidity changes? If need be, I'm sure I can
fill them in with mulitple coats of polyurethane, but it's likely to
look like a hunk of plastic by the time I've got all the little bits
filled in.

So what works for you in these cases? Specific brand names would help
out a bit, as I've found that there are rather signifigant differences
in performance of some products depending on the manufacturer's
formula.

Thanks!

Filling 5/8 holes with stick [email protected] Metalworking 8 December 15th 04 06:18 AM
Filling holes in stone foundation Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 13 November 15th 04 07:31 PM
Filling holes in wood Stuart UK diy 3 April 13th 04 09:29 AM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
filling iregular holes Zipadee Doodar UK diy 5 October 13th 03 06:40 PM