Prometheus

Default Filling worm holes

Hello all,

I've got an approximately 8' long section of spalted maple sitting by
my lathe just waiting to be turned- I've used a bit of it, and it's
pretty nice, dried, with a good spalting pattern and a bunch of worm
holes. I kind of line the holes, but I'm a little concerned that
they're going to get filled with bits of crap over time if I leave
them open. I know some of you guys fill such things in with various
things ranging from coffee grounds to turquoise, but I'd like to keep
the appearance of a hole there. Any suggestions for a clear product
that will fill those smooth bore holes that won't yellow too much with
time, or pop out if the humidity changes? If need be, I'm sure I can
fill them in with mulitple coats of polyurethane, but it's likely to
look like a hunk of plastic by the time I've got all the little bits
filled in.

So what works for you in these cases? Specific brand names would help
out a bit, as I've found that there are rather signifigant differences
in performance of some products depending on the manufacturer's
formula.

Thanks!