Scott Altman

Rank amateur woodturner, lurking here to learn anything about
woodturning, never posted until now......

I'm old enough to have become cynical about anything, any level of any
Govt. imposes on honest people.
I do believe the mental level of bearucrats & crooks are about equal,
perhaps a little higher on the crooked side.

I was stopped a year ago by a small town cop for him to determine the
intent of hauling 10 bags of straight nitrogen in my pickup.
The only knowledge he possessed about nitrogen was that he'd learned in
a 2 week cop training school was that it could be used in making an
explosive device.

Perhaps your protectors out there are hopefully getting some training on
wood species identification.

Sometimes a good idea gets muddled with all the ink it takes to say
something simple. And it is easier to hassle the honest than work at
prosecuting to crooks.

Thank you for letting me vent.

George

"Scott Altman" wrote in message

I was stopped a year ago by a small town cop for him to determine the
intent of hauling 10 bags of straight nitrogen in my pickup.
The only knowledge he possessed about nitrogen was that he'd learned in
a 2 week cop training school was that it could be used in making an
explosive device.

Perhaps your protectors out there are hopefully getting some training on
wood species identification.

Folks in OK City probably feel a bit different about it than you do.

Citizens elect representatives, representatives make the laws. Enforcement
has to give their best guess on what the public wants at the moment. Lots
of laws, rules and ordinances never get enforced, but get stopped with a
radar detector, hops on your breath, or an attitude, and you'd best be
prepared for some creative writing....

Leif Thorvaldson

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Not mention where can you get "bags" of nitrogen? Are you referring to
nitrogen based fertilizer?

Leif

Patriarch

"George" wrote in :

snip

Folks in OK City probably feel a bit different about it than you do.

Citizens elect representatives, representatives make the laws.
Enforcement has to give their best guess on what the public wants at
the moment. Lots of laws, rules and ordinances never get enforced,
but get stopped with a radar detector, hops on your breath, or an
attitude, and you'd best be prepared for some creative writing....

There are exceptions to every generalization, but I have been fortunate
to experience, for the most part, people in law enforcement and other
public service agencies are interested in the public good.

We citizens and inhabitants often make it difficult for them to balance
the sometimes conflicting goals we ask them to meet. Our goals change
over time. We protect sometimes conflicting interest in the law. For
this reason we have courts, to decide rationality and resolve conflict.

We can live without all of these things, but not in a well organized
society. Just check your newspapers for almost any week of any of the
last decades for places trying to reorganize themselves. Thank whatever
deity you belive in for the places and societies in which most of us
reside and create our fancy bits.

We will figure out how to legally acquire and transport turning
materials, firewood and instrument grade lumber, because it is in the
best interests of society to work this out. Other things may get done
*first*, however. ;-)

Patriarch,
thinking that Oregon Bigleaf Maple may be the ticket for now...