George

Default Lovin' The NOVA

Been taking time away from the garden and household chores to turn all the
oversize stuff I had around. Computed 400mm capacity and figured out why my
sixteen always seemed too big, and since have been working with a max
slightly less than the 15 3/4, with a flat at the end grain to compensate
for my 15 1/2" drill press. The sides will contract anyway, so nothing
lost.

She has never complained about chunks being a bit out of balance
accidentally or even deliberately. I find myself getting lazy, though, and
leaving the set at 360 RPM even when hollowing. Got into the lazy habit
from the old one, where the minimum was close to 700. I've slipped the belt
a few times, but never gronked the 1 HP (14amp?????) motor.

Anyway, after weeding, and in and around washing and hanging two loads of
laundry this morning, I turned a leftover piece of my gift cherry measuring
13x11x7. Turned it bark up, even though the bark was loose, and was
delighted to find that even this out-of-balance by design chunk stayed
smooth and centered throughout. At a quarter inch thick, it'll be ready to
finish in a week or so, but I also have nearly 25 "chamber pots" as the
family calls them, of 14" in stages from ready to soaking wet that I've
cut since she arrived in March.

She's a peach! Glad I took the chance. I see a lot of folks with money
upgrading and advertising them for sale. None as good a deal as the one I
got so far, but not outrageous. Good thought for someone itching to turn
something larger in diameter.

mac davis

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:07:57 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

[...]

glad that you're enjoying the Nova experience, George...
I looked (very briefly) at 16" lathes, but figured that going from a 9" to a 14
was skipping enough steps and putting a big enough ding in the cash reserves..

I have to put a shelf in and load it up with green logs... I put a 2 foot log
that was about 12" dia. and very wet on the 1442 last night and we were laughing
at how it kept walking out the garage door and I had to keep getting my wife to
help me drag it back in.. lol

I have to say, though, that the same log or one a bit smaller would have thrown
my mini into the next state and set up a rattle and roll on the shopsmith that
would wake the dead..

It was ok, once I got the bark off and trued it up... I would normally either
cut a blank or trim it round on the band saw, but last night was kind of a (I
hope) worst case test.. I'll see how I feel later tonight, after doing about 14"
or 16" of end grain cutting to make her that vase she wants...

Did you get that laundry hung/folded yet?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

"mac davis" wrote in message

Did you get that laundry hung/folded yet?

Laundry is in, lawn is cut, transplants watered out in the garden. Now it's
time for strawberries and frozen yoghurt.

I'm eating with my arms firmly folded down to my sides, however. Shower to
follow.

Didn't notice it so much when I was cleaning up the shop. Something to be
said for a big bag of fresh cherry shavings on a hot day....

Patriarch

"George" george@least wrote in :

snip
I'm eating with my arms firmly folded down to my sides, however.
Shower to follow.

Didn't notice it so much when I was cleaning up the shop. Something
to be said for a big bag of fresh cherry shavings on a hot day....

I had a similar experience yesterday. My 2 yr old grandson climbed up into
my lap, gave me a hug, and then made a very funny face. I'd been doing
plumbing, tile and floor repair in a very warm bathroom.

He didn't know any word for it other than 'stinky'.

Patriarch
mac davis

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:10:40 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

Did you get that laundry hung/folded yet?

Laundry is in, lawn is cut, transplants watered out in the garden. Now it's
time for strawberries and frozen yoghurt.

I'm eating with my arms firmly folded down to my sides, however. Shower to
follow.

Didn't notice it so much when I was cleaning up the shop. Something to be
said for a big bag of fresh cherry shavings on a hot day....

and the smell of downy.. lol

I do all the laundry during the winter, because it heats the shop... not so
eager to do it during the summer...

I spent most of the day getting the house, yard and pool ready for the grand
kids this weekend... I wonder if the little one will fit on the lathe??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Arch

George, I love mine too. It turns any blank I can lift, smoothly and
well. As the older models get redistributed some new owners might not
know that there was (is?) a free upgrade from Woodcraft for securely
locking the swivel head. A double ended Morse taper for tweaking axial
realignment is useful and inexpensive. It's also useful in making a sex
change for the head & tail tapers. A variety of used fittings with
female MTs are often free or cheap at machine shops or flea markets and
worn out MT drill bits, etc. are great for tinkering.

BTW, I'm still looking for a used N3K bed extension and tailstock.
Anybody?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

"Arch" wrote in message
As the older models get redistributed some new owners might not
know that there was (is?) a free upgrade from Woodcraft for securely
locking the swivel head.

Arrrrrrgh! OK, what is/was the matter? Would I know already if mine had
not been retrofitted?

My beef is the tailstock block. Too loose laterally to just stuff the thing
forward and expect a good center. I adjusted mine so that the (wrong
direction) tightening lever kicks it left into alignment.

Then there's the left-hand thread on the banjo....

Arch

George, problems always arise when two men love the same gal.

I assume that the free up grade for locking the swivel head securely was
offered by Teknatool through its dealers because in some cases the
swivel headstock did not lock down securely. Maybe it was just difficult
to secure. I suppose it could have been for liability reasons. I only
know it was offered at one time.

Anyway, the upgrade consisted of a steel headstock lockpin with two thru
holes 90 deg. apart and a plain steel operating bar for added torque. I
expect that Woodcraft customer service or Teknatool could advise if this
was factory fitted if given the lathe's serial number. This was
discussed on rcw and further information should be in the archives.
Additionally, previous owners might know if the upgrade was present or
added to the lathe. Then there's the old saw "if all else fails, read
the parts list and diagram".

Whatever the locking assembly, if your headstock locks down securely and
easily,
my post wasn't/isn't helpful and may have been/is a confusing annoyance.
Arrrrrrgh!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

mac davis

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 14:44:21 GMT, "Henry" wrote:

Once you get the grandkids mounted on the lathe what do you turn them into.

Just wondering.

something quieter, hopefully.. *lol*

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:10:40 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

George

"Arch" wrote in message
Anyway, the upgrade consisted of a steel headstock lockpin with two thru
holes 90 deg. apart and a plain steel operating bar for added torque.

That's there. If there is something beyond...well can't find it. No
problems, but I don't swing the headstock - yet.

Leif Thorvaldson

"George" george@least wrote in message
[...]

=====I debated buying either the 3000 or the DVR and one of the things I
noticed was the rather high speed of the low end of the speed range. 250
for the DVR and 216 for the 3000, I am used to whittling down off-balance
logs at lower speeds, so I don't have the waltzing matilda effect of the
lathe deciding to enter the field of ballroom dancing. Since no one has
mentioned this, I was wondering if I was the only one who will rough out
logs at under 100 rpm? I know you professional turners probably rough out
at 1200 rpm and probably with your thumb nail! *G*

Leif

George

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message I debated buying
either the 3000 or the DVR and one of the things I
noticed was the rather high speed of the low end of the speed range. 250
for the DVR and 216 for the 3000, I am used to whittling down off-balance
logs at lower speeds, so I don't have the waltzing matilda effect of the
lathe deciding to enter the field of ballroom dancing. Since no one has
mentioned this, I was wondering if I was the only one who will rough out
logs at under 100 rpm? I know you professional turners probably rough out
at 1200 rpm and probably with your thumb nail! *G*

I'm a proponent of nibbling off-balance pieces with the chainsaw or bandsaw.

I'm also of the counterthrust rather than counterweight school of lathe
stands, so my lathe's footprint extends out front greater than the swing.
This helps stabilize the over-the top acceleration from a heavy spot. The
weight shelf is low, weight heavier aft to counter the same.

Don't have the patience to wait for the gouge to engage the high spot again
at 216, much less 100. So far so good, though 16x9 is as large as I've
roughed so far.

Rick

FWIW, I just bought the DVR and the latest firmware/software allow for
100 RPM low end. I'm beginning to love mine but need to pickup
another toolrest. 12" rest won't cut it when I'm trying to turn pens
and stuff.

=====I debated buying either the 3000 or the DVR and one of the things I
noticed was the rather high speed of the low end of the speed range. 250
for the DVR and 216 for the 3000, I am used to whittling down off-balance
logs at lower speeds, so I don't have the waltzing matilda effect of the
lathe deciding to enter the field of ballroom dancing. Since no one has
mentioned this, I was wondering if I was the only one who will rough out
logs at under 100 rpm? I know you professional turners probably rough out
at 1200 rpm and probably with your thumb nail! *G*

Leif

George

"Rick" wrote in message
FWIW, I just bought the DVR and the latest firmware/software allow for
100 RPM low end. I'm beginning to love mine but need to pickup
another toolrest. 12" rest won't cut it when I'm trying to turn pens
and stuff.

As mentioned elsewhere, the ideal all-around length rest for a swing like
the Nova should be 8", which is not on the menu. Mine came with the 4"
Teknatool, which is the same angle and beef as the 12, and one of those
Woodcraft modular rests. After a couple of attempts at the Woodcraft -
curved - rest, I relegated it to the scrap heap. Poorly finished, poorly
mating parts, and poorly thought out contour. I have a Oneway curved that I
regret buying, and an iron "S" type that I use a lot.

www.bestwoodtools.com and pick up a pin chuck while you're at it if you're
going to do bowls. http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/georgesalbum.msnw

Do they still have the left to tighten and left to lock on the banjo and
tailstock?

Bill

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:37:09 -0400, George wrote:

www.bestwoodtools.com and pick up a pin chuck while you're at it if you're
going to do bowls. http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/georgesalbum.msnw

George ... I can't find it. Gotta link?

Bill
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"George" wrote:

As mentioned elsewhere, the ideal all-around length rest for a swing like
the Nova should be 8", which is not on the menu. Mine came with the 4"
Teknatool, which is the same angle and beef as the 12,

Isn't that the darndest thing? I'm considering a Oneway 16" - that one
plus the 20" and 24" lathes come with only a 14" tool rest. I'd have to
get a 6" or 8" one just to do most of the work I normally do on my
current midi. I even modified one of the midi 6"ers down to 3" and use
that quite frequently.
George

"Bill" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.07.21.22.10.939309@notarealserver .com...
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:37:09 -0400, George wrote:

www.bestwoodtools.com and pick up a pin chuck while you're at it if

you're
going to do bowls. http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/georgesalbum.msnw

George ... I can't find it. Gotta link?

Bill

Speaking of the pin chuck itself? Have to talk to them. Their catalog far
exceeds their website. Appears to be mom and pop and a couple of machine
lathes for a company. Price was the same as the adapters, as the work is
pretty much the same up to the male threading.

Now if only we could talk them into making rests that keep us closer.
Lathes come with rests that lean so they can be closer to the work than the
post or the top of the banjo for a reason.

mac davis

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:12:33 -0700, Owen Lowe wrote:

In article ,
"George" wrote:

As mentioned elsewhere, the ideal all-around length rest for a swing like
the Nova should be 8", which is not on the menu. Mine came with the 4"
Teknatool, which is the same angle and beef as the 12,

Isn't that the darndest thing? I'm considering a Oneway 16" - that one
plus the 20" and 24" lathes come with only a 14" tool rest. I'd have to
get a 6" or 8" one just to do most of the work I normally do on my
current midi. I even modified one of the midi 6"ers down to 3" and use
that quite frequently.

yeah, I'm shopping for rests now for the Jet 1442...
I was finish turning a small (3" diameter) box last night and my wife was
cracking up watching me try to work on it without the 12" tool rest either not
close enough or sticking out and hitting me in the gut.. umm.. I mean turning
muscle..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bill

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 06:09:03 -0400, George wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.07.21.22.10.939309@notarealserver .com...
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:37:09 -0400, George wrote:

www.bestwoodtools.com and pick up a pin chuck while you're at it if

you're
going to do bowls. http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/georgesalbum.msnw

George ... I can't find it. Gotta link?

Bill

Speaking of the pin chuck itself? Have to talk to them. Their catalog far
exceeds their website. Appears to be mom and pop and a couple of machine
lathes for a company. Price was the same as the adapters, as the work is
pretty much the same up to the male threading.

Now if only we could talk them into making rests that keep us closer.
Lathes come with rests that lean so they can be closer to the work than the
post or the top of the banjo for a reason.

Amen Brother! I have the cast iron rest that came with my HF 14" lathe
plus a couple after-market rests and they all suck buttermilk out of sick
cows. I'm ready to spring for a couple of the "J" rests as soon as I find
the website that was selling them again. (I've got enough to do without
trying to get the gear to weld with, too.)

I need to follow the curve of the bowl. The closer I can get the tool
rest, the steadier the tool / smoother the cut.

Bill