moggy

Default DVDs/online magazines

I am fairly new to wood turning, I've done a good course and have
several books. Can anyone recommend any good DVDs for improvers,
downloadable format would be particularly good as I don't have a TV
and watch on the computer anyway. Also do any woodturning magazines
have online versions you can subscribe to - actually can you
recommend any wood turning magazines?

Fred Holder

Hello Moggy,

More Woodturning is available as a pdf file by subscription. Effective with the
June 2005 issue it has also been changed to magazine format and the pages are
8-1/2 inches by 11 inches and easier to read than the larger size pages. The
pictures are clear and in color. The price is still $30.00 per year. If you wish
to subscribe we must have your name and your e-mail address, because you will
receive an e-mail each month with the access address for the issue. You can get
information on subscribing at:
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/woodturn.htm.

Other woodturning magazines are Woodturning magazine in England, Woodturning
Design in the United States, and American Woodturner the magazine of the AAW.
None of these are available on line.

Hopes this helps.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , moggy says...

I am fairly new to wood turning, I've done a good course and have
several books. Can anyone recommend any good DVDs for improvers,
downloadable format would be particularly good as I don't have a TV
and watch on the computer anyway. Also do any woodturning magazines
have online versions you can subscribe to - actually can you
recommend any wood turning magazines?

Dave in Fairfax

moggy wrote:
I am fairly new to wood turning, I've done a good course and have
several books. Can anyone recommend any good DVDs for improvers,
downloadable format would be particularly good as I don't have a TV
and watch on the computer anyway. Also do any woodturning magazines
have online versions you can subscribe to - actually can you
recommend any wood turning magazines?

DVDs: http://www.wonderfulwood.com/ No commercial interest, happy
buyer, etc.

Or go to your local Woodcraft and look in their library.
Alternatively, look at my sig line, follow the AAW link to local
chapters, find yours, join and see what they have in their
library. By joining you'll also get a woodturning magazine. This
is a good idea anyway, since you'll learn more by having someone
next to you than you will by reading or watching a DVD, and your
local chapter will have a lot of people who will be happy to help
you.

I haven't seen any woodturning magazines that I am particularly
happy with, but YMMV.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
mac davis

On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:10:35 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

moggy wrote:
[...]

What Dave said!!

I use Bill Grumbine's bowl turning DVD so often (for reminders/motivation/etc.)
that I keep the DVD in the CD tray of my notebook in the shop..
I don't want to sound like an ad, but it's a great investment for $30 and makes
a fantastic gift.. I've given one to our youngest son and one to a turning
friend and they have both mentioned it several times..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
billh

snip
I use Bill Grumbine's bowl turning DVD so often (for
reminders/motivation/etc.)
that I keep the DVD in the CD tray of my notebook in the shop..
I don't want to sound like an ad, but it's a great investment for $30 and
makes
a fantastic gift.. I've given one to our youngest son and one to a turning
friend and they have both mentioned it several times..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I agree with your assessment of Bill's DVD. However, I wouldn't let a
beginner near a chainsaw if their only exposure was what they saw on the
DVD.

Billh

Dave in Fairfax

billh wrote:
I agree with your assessment of Bill's DVD. However, I wouldn't let a
beginner near a chainsaw if their only exposure was what they saw on the
DVD.

A good point. Moggy, tell us more about yourself, your knowledge
base, and your skillset. There, does that sound impressive enough
or what? %-) Better toss in whether you have a chainsaw, a BS or
both.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
mac davis

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:36:20 -0400, "billh" wrote:

snip
I use Bill Grumbine's bowl turning DVD so often (for
reminders/motivation/etc.)
that I keep the DVD in the CD tray of my notebook in the shop..
I don't want to sound like an ad, but it's a great investment for $30 and
makes
a fantastic gift.. I've given one to our youngest son and one to a turning
friend and they have both mentioned it several times..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I agree with your assessment of Bill's DVD. However, I wouldn't let a
beginner near a chainsaw if their only exposure was what they saw on the
DVD.

Billh

or a swept wing gouge.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
moggy

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I got a lathe over a year ago, a second hand delta one. I had a few
tries from just what I learnt in books, but was getting no where
fast. Due to house move I then had no power to my shed for quite a
few months so did nothing. I eventually got power put in and started
again and still was getting nowhere fast, so signed up for an
excellent one day course in Yorkshire and finally learnt that all
that was wrong was that I wasn't letting the bevel rub and I had my
right hand too far down. Those two things took me from splitting just
about everything I ever turned or having it fly off the lathe to
actually starting to produce some useful items.

I have a band saw - xmas present from hubbie, a supernova chuck,
assorted chisels - (but could do with a larger bowl gouge). Tins of
assorted wood finishes and a mottly collection of all sorts of woods
that have been drying for upto 18 months.
In the collection there is ash, cherry, yew, swamp cyprus, silver
birch, oak, lelandii (what is that like to turn?) and other chunks I
have been donated that I haven't got a clue what they are

I have only turned basic items so far, bowls, egg cups, finials, and
the obligatory mushrooms and light pulls.

I have to confess, I am clueless when it comes to using the band saw
and avoid it at all costs, due to a healthy liking for having 10
fingers.

As for a chain saw?? now way am I going near one of those, I am far to
accident prone. If it cant be cut with a bow saw I'm not touching it.

moggy

The things that I am wanting to turn are practical items that will be
used on a day to day basis - bowls, plates, boxes when I get a bit
better. I am not into ornaments.

moggy

Fred Holderwrote:
Hello Moggy,

More Woodturning is available as a pdf file by subscription.
. You can get
information on subscribing at:
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/woodturn.htm.

that looks good, just a shame that I can't pay online, I am hopeless
at remembering to post stuff, still I suppose I can try and remember.

Tony Manella

There was a new turning magazine that started up "Woodturning Design". I
used to get it at Lowes or Wal-Mart but neither carries it now. I'm not
sure if they are still in business. Maybe someone here can tell us.
Tony Manella

"moggy" wrote in message
I am fairly new to wood turning, I've done a good course and have
several books. Can anyone recommend any good DVDs for improvers,
downloadable format would be particularly good as I don't have a TV
and watch on the computer anyway. Also do any woodturning magazines
have online versions you can subscribe to - actually can you
recommend any wood turning magazines?

George

"Tony Manella" wrote in message
There was a new turning magazine that started up "Woodturning Design". I
used to get it at Lowes or Wal-Mart but neither carries it now. I'm not
sure if they are still in business. Maybe someone here can tell us.
Tony Manella

Seems so. http://www.woodturningdesign.com/

mac davis

On 27 May 2005 09:02:34 -0400, lid (moggy)
wrote:

I think you're doing it right... classes, books, DVD, etc. are always good, but
best when you're first learning..
I was self taught, a lot of years ago, and I'm trying to not only learn and
improve now, but get rid of all the things that I was doing wrong...

If this group existed 25 years ago, I'd know what I was doing by now! *g*

[...]

Harry B. Pye

Tony,

There was a new turning magazine that started up "Woodturning Design". I
used to get it at Lowes or Wal-Mart but neither carries it now. I'm not
sure if they are still in business. Maybe someone here can tell us.

Still in business. I get my copy from one of the book stores like Barnes &
Noble. Missed you at the meeting.

Harry

FS: Shop Notes and Woodsmith magazines Rick Stein Woodworking 0 May 24th 05 02:43 PM
FS: Shop Notes magazines & Woodsmith Magazines Rick Stein Woodworking 0 May 21st 05 06:30 PM
Any good trade magazines JJ Home Repair 3 February 6th 04 04:11 PM
Magazines? Norm UK diy 4 October 26th 03 11:08 PM
Ebay Woodturning Books and Magazines Julian Shaw Woodturning 0 July 30th 03 03:58 PM