Arch

Default A woodturner's first experience with shops & galleries. (long)

Nearby Hobe Sound began as a rail stop for exclusive Jupiter Island
that lies across the sound. Now the village sports galleries, gift
shoppes, fine restaurants, tacky import stalls, sleazy bars and all the
attributes of a quaint place to visit for a day. It's a welcome flavor
of picket fenced New England in what's left of old Florida.

This weekend I filled the car trunk with my turned masterpieces and my
schnauzer and I spent a few pleasant hours visiting Hobe Sound's world
of upscale retail commercial art/craft. It was enlightening, but I
reckon I'll warn friends and family that I plan to remain a rank
amateur.

No one seemed very interested in 'useless art', 'hokey gifts' or
'mundane treen', but they all seized on my larger bowls, nice lamps, NIP
star pattern platters etc. These are the kinds of turnings I term
"useful art".

Apparently, 'old money' appreciates beauty, but expects it to do
something useful. They have inherited lots of expensive art and if
they haven't they would buy it in Palm Beach enclaves with funds from
their trusts. Sadly that's not my venue....nor my cup of tea.

Most of the sellers I visited were very courteous and showed genuine
interest. They all insisted that my work not be in another local venue,
but they differed considerably in their, at least for me, unpredictable
selling arrangements. Some would only buy. Others would take on an
agreed upon consignment price. The ones that appealed to me refused to
suggest a price, but would show a piece at my price which I would get
regardless of what it was sold for. That way I could test the market and
get my price without risk for either of us.

I don't know if Hobe Sound is typical, but I thought some of you might
be interested in my experience with one marketplace.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch:

I think one of the more intelligent threads here lately was the one
concerning why we turn what we turn. I have been a woodworker for 30
years, most of it full time with my own company and have learned a lot
along the way.

There is a big differnce in living the life of an artist, and living
life as a happy, talented woodworker, professional or otherwise.

First, you do not get to establish what is art, and what is not.
Because your family and neighbors are stunned at your skills and
inspiration, other paying customers may not appreciate the depth of
your talent. I had my feelings crushed many times in my budding
career, frustrated because the people I was trying to sell to didn't
see how powerful my artistic vision and execution actually were.

Second, the market establishes itself. We are a nation of consumers,
and whom among us don't have more around the house than we need? Your
potential clients probably want something nice, handmade, and are
really buying the fact that it is a one-of-a-kind piece. Otherwise
they would truck to Walmart and buy a monkey wood bowl for $10.
Obviously they saw something they liked or they wouldn't have talked to
you at all.

When I decided to play with woodturning about 8 or so years ago, I
joined our club of turners and artists. No kiddin... some of these
guys are truly exceptional. Honestly gallery style/quality turners.
But in several attempts to get their budding artistic careers off the
ground each of them failed. They turned what THEY wanted, when THEY
wanted to, and were stunned that the response wasn't overwhelming.
They sold nothing, or sold at a very low price, or as with one, sold at
great prices in a gallery, but was promptly relieved of 40% as a fee
from the gallery.

They all decided that the public wasn't appreciative of their efforts
(they weren't) and that they were wasting their time on unenlightened
people. Snobs that didn't know anything. After all, who can't love a
Navajo seed bowl with authentic markings or ginger jar with a snap fit
lid that you can see through due to the natural voids?

Having my own business for so long took me on a different path. I
starting making Parker style pens as they were not common at that time.
Everyone in the club was turning the Waterman/Euro pens along with the
slimlines, and assured me the Parker style would never sell. So I took
a couple of Cocobolo pens and an ebony pen to a business associate of
mine's office and sold him on the idea of buying them as awards,
retirement pieces, etc.

He loved it. He told his friends. I sold about 65 pens in a year,
each one made to order from a wood they selected, and laser engraved
with one line of their choice (name, company name, acheivement, etc.)
for $70 each. I put them in a velvet box with a card on how to take
care of the pen, where to get refills, and how to get in touch with me
if they had problems or wanted more pens.

I made more money selling pens at the start of my turning education
than any of the people in the club have to this date, and they were/are
much better turners!

My goal was to pay for the lathes, two sets of tools, the specialty
woods, the finishes, the strip sandpaper, etc. so that the new hobby
wasn't actually a money hole. It was not lost on me that the least
expensive part of woodturning is the lathe.

I still sell one now and then. But now pens are plentiful, and are of
all quality and materials. I think the thing that killed my market as
much as anything was the fact that the local boy scouts started making
them for fundraising, and then the high school shop class made them for
projects.

Now I sell turned spoons and spatulas, just for pocket money and
because they are fun to make, just like pens were years ago.

But after this long winded dissertation, my point is this: If you are
serious, you must cater to the current market tastes or join the ranks
of the millions of starving artist that cannot compromise. Who
knows... you might be "discovered" many years after your demise!

Otherwise, enjoy the hobby and the praise and admiration of friends and
family that appreciate how much time and effort you spent on your art.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way. I had to learn this
lesson many times before it stuck with me.

OK, I'm off the box.

Robert

Arch

Robert,

Thanks for a very good response from your soap box. Certainly no offense
taken
here. Many on this ng know that musings from my soap box are more for
prying up thoughtul discussions like yours than for seeking advice, not
that I can't use it.

I was interested in how selling is done and wanted to share what I found
out on a weekend visit to a particular market. I agree with all you say,
though I really have little interest in selling my turnings. It's not
disappointing, just not satisfying _for me and we are comfortably
off.... if inflation doesn't become astronomic.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
No one seemed very interested in 'useless art', 'hokey gifts' or
'mundane treen', but they all seized on my larger bowls, nice lamps, NIP
star pattern platters etc.

That seems reasonable. Store keepers should have a fairly good idea of
what they can sell, and will only stock their shop with goods that 'fit'.

Most of the sellers I visited were very courteous and showed genuine
interest. They all insisted that my work not be in another local venue,
but they differed considerably in their, at least for me, unpredictable
selling arrangements.

That is fairly typical. Stores like this generally like to have unique
work that can't be found in every other shop in town, which seems
reasonable to me. FWI, I have found the best venues are those that will
take a big display of my work, so it is better to have all your stock in
one shop than spread around. Its easier to deal with accounting and
restocking too. As for terms, it would be to your advantage to go in and
tell them the deal you expect, otherwise they will think they are doing
you a favor and your negotiations won't go well.

The ones that appealed to me refused to
suggest a price, but would show a piece at my price which I would get
regardless of what it was sold for. That way I could test the market and
get my price without risk for either of us.

If you are happy with the price you get, does it matter what they sell
it for? What is perhaps more important is how quickly / how many they
sell. If you do get into consignment, make sure you have some agreement
for getting stuff back if it isn't moving.

I did once go into a place that wanted to buy some less expensive stuff
at keystone, and take a few larger pieces on consignment for the
husbands to look at while the women shop. Yeh, right, I really want to
provide shop decor for free.

I don't know if Hobe Sound is typical, but I thought some of you might
be interested in my experience with one marketplace.

Fairly typical. It can take a long time to find good outlets, by which
time they will probably go out of business:-)

I gave up on wholesale and consignment a few years ago and haven't
looked back.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Bob Threlkeld

I am not a professional woodturner, but I turn 50-75 bowls a year. I
have lived in the California Central Valley, British Columbia, and now
rural Colorado. Given that I only want to sell what I make, and I
don't make alot, the sales trajectory (for me) seems to be:

1. Give my first few bowls to family and friends (leading to referrals)
2. Donate good pieces to charities for auctions (leading to people
calling me)
3. Find a good coop gallery to place pieces in. (leading to sales and
friendship with other artists)
4. Sell out of the house to people who know me

If I had to make a living (a hard living to make, indeed) I would keep
a close eye on the market. But at this stage of life, I don't, so
selling this way is fine. And, I have always been able to sell
whatever I make (priced $35-$100), so I'm happy.

Bob

Lobby Dosser wrote:
(Arch) wrote:

The ones that appealed to me refused to
suggest a price, but would show a piece at my price which I would

get
regardless of what it was sold for. That way I could test the

market and
get my price without risk for either of us.

This sounds like a good opportunity - maybe Golden. You get an outlet

for
display, becoming 'known', finding out what will really sell and what

will
not. I'd suggest picking one of those shops for a trial run. One

where you
are confortable with the owner. And look for one where you'd be

willing to
buy some of their other stock, that way you have some hope that folks

who'll buy there have taste at least similar to yours. I know the

places
where I would like to sell - I bought stuff from them before I

started
making my own.

LD