Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Arch

Default A woodturner's first experience with shops & galleries. (long)

Nearby Hobe Sound began as a rail stop for exclusive Jupiter Island
that lies across the sound. Now the village sports galleries, gift
shoppes, fine restaurants, tacky import stalls, sleazy bars and all the
attributes of a quaint place to visit for a day. It's a welcome flavor
of picket fenced New England in what's left of old Florida.

This weekend I filled the car trunk with my turned masterpieces and my
schnauzer and I spent a few pleasant hours visiting Hobe Sound's world
of upscale retail commercial art/craft. It was enlightening, but I
reckon I'll warn friends and family that I plan to remain a rank
amateur.

No one seemed very interested in 'useless art', 'hokey gifts' or
'mundane treen', but they all seized on my larger bowls, nice lamps, NIP
star pattern platters etc. These are the kinds of turnings I term
"useful art".

Apparently, 'old money' appreciates beauty, but expects it to do
something useful. They have inherited lots of expensive art and if
they haven't they would buy it in Palm Beach enclaves with funds from
their trusts. Sadly that's not my venue....nor my cup of tea.

Most of the sellers I visited were very courteous and showed genuine
interest. They all insisted that my work not be in another local venue,
but they differed considerably in their, at least for me, unpredictable
selling arrangements. Some would only buy. Others would take on an
agreed upon consignment price. The ones that appealed to me refused to
suggest a price, but would show a piece at my price which I would get
regardless of what it was sold for. That way I could test the market and
get my price without risk for either of us.

I don't know if Hobe Sound is typical, but I thought some of you might
be interested in my experience with one marketplace.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter