Matt Durkin

Default Vaillant sometimes doesn't ignite

Hi All,
I have a vaillant TURBOmax Plus boiler which runs the heating and hot
water. Occassionally the boiler doesn't ignite (electronic ignition).
It tends to be oer common if the boile hasn't been used for a while
(i.e. in summer when heating not in use). The auto ignition is
definitely working (I can hear it clicking) but the flame doesn't
light.
Now strangely, the problem seems to have completely dissapeared in the
last 6 months, but prior to that it was getting quite bad, with the
boiler locking itself off for safety reasons. It would rty to light
for about 30 seconds, then lock off.

Does anyone know what can cause this to happen, and if I need to have
the boiler services? Vaillant would offer no advice over the phone
other than to arrange a £90 visit by an engineer...

Thanks,
Matthew
StealthUK

Check your service manual first - it will contain flowcharts to troubleshoot.
raden

In message , Matt
Durkin writes
(Matt Durkin) wrote in message
.com...
[...]

P.S. I ought oto add that the manual doesn't offer a solution to
intermittent lighting.

A sticking gas valve ?

--
geoff
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:11 +0000, raden wrote:

[...]

I'd put that to the bottom of the list.
After checking the ignition electrodes are free of debris and in the right
place, the HT gets to them and not elsewhere.
Then I'd go for checking the ignition rate (lowest) burner pressure.
These can and do drift and have a fairly sensitive effect on the ignition
sucess of this model.

Also amazingly a slightly dodgy APS can have weird effects on this model.

Don't be surprised if on opening the combustion box the boiler starts
behaving! You adjust the gas pressure it stop lighting, you close the box
it then works OK!
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:11 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Matt
Durkin writes
(Matt Durkin) wrote in message
le.com...
[...]

Not if he said that it happens after it's been left for a while