Simon

Default Laminate floor around curved bottom stair

Does anyone know a good way to fit laminate flooring around the bottom
of a flight of sairs? The problem I'm anticipating is how to fit the
flooring against the riser for the bottom stair. This riser has a
curved shape and is carpeted.

Obviously I can't use standard edge quadrant because this is not
curved (though perhaps the plastic kind can be gently heated and bent
into shape?) and won't fit neatly against the vertical carpet on the
stair riser anyway.

I think I should be able to cut the laminate to a matching curve and
trim the carpet back so that the edge of the laminate floor is
recessed under the edge of the carpet. I may have to move any grippers
up slightly but that should be easy. Is that the best way or is there
a trick I haven't thought of?

Thoughts/hints/experiences welcomed.

Si
Uno Hoo!

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know a good way to fit laminate flooring around the bottom
of a flight of sairs? The problem I'm anticipating is how to fit the
flooring against the riser for the bottom stair. This riser has a
curved shape and is carpeted.

Obviously I can't use standard edge quadrant because this is not
curved (though perhaps the plastic kind can be gently heated and bent
into shape?) and won't fit neatly against the vertical carpet on the
stair riser anyway.

I think I should be able to cut the laminate to a matching curve and
trim the carpet back so that the edge of the laminate floor is
recessed under the edge of the carpet. I may have to move any grippers
up slightly but that should be easy. Is that the best way or is there
a trick I haven't thought of?

Thoughts/hints/experiences welcomed.

Simon

I had a very similar problem when I put tiling laminate down in my kitchen.
One of the kitchen end units is curved. There was no problem cutting the
curve on the laminate itself - just used a jig-saw but, as you say, it's
fitting the 'trim' strip that's the problem. I solved it by cutting the trim
into small tapered blocks, each about 3/4" long and sticking them onto the
curved base of the unit with a 'No More Nails' type adhesive. The 'tiled'
laminate I used was a sort of 'limed' colour and the adhesive dried white so
I also used it to fill any gaps between the blocks. The finished result is
excellent and several people have asked, "How did you do that?" !! If your
laminate is wood then you could use a matching wood filler to fill the gaps.
The whole job was slightly laborious but worth it in the end!

Kev

Uno Hoo!

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Having re-read your original post I realise that my solution may not be
suitable because of the stair riser carpeting coming down to floor level.
Sorry about that! In your case I would follow your own suggestion and pull
the carpet away slightly. Fit the laminate flooring a little bit closer (ie
smaller expansion gap) than normal and then re-fit the carpet to cover the
gap.

Kev

NikV

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

we went for a slighly smaller expansion gap, cut some of the cork 'edging'
and packed it in tight, the carpet then 'fluffed' out and the pile covers
the edging - looks pretty good according to swmbo (phew!!)
Nik

Simon Stroud

"NikV" wrote in message

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I did this recently in the hall.

All round the edges I removed the skirting and replaced afterwords, as
anything else is I think a bodge.

Up against the UPVC front door frame and the bottom stair riser (and round a
"built-in" coir doormat) I used the Pergo edging strip that is made for
going up against vertical things such as patio doors. (Actually in the Pergo
range these are now called a "three in one" threshold strip I think.) These
involve screwing a metal "U" channel to the floor and then bashing the
moulding into it. You only get one go because it can't then be pulled out
without destroying the back of the moulding so you have to get everything
cut to shape first!

Round the bottom of the stairs I did it in a few straight sections and the
edge of the carpet comes down and hides any small gaps where the curvature
of the bottom riser would be visible.

Pretty pleased with the result.

I've put a couple of pics at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...ures/hall1.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...ures/hall2.jpg

Sorry they're not "showhouse" quality - the floor has been down a few months
and the kids have already had a good bash at the nearby woodwork, etc.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 March 2005 10:48:30 UTC, Simon wrote:
Does anyone know a good way to fit laminate flooring around the bottom
of a flight of sairs? The problem I'm anticipating is how to fit the
flooring against the riser for the bottom stair. This riser has a
curved shape and is carpeted.

Obviously I can't use standard edge quadrant because this is not
curved (though perhaps the plastic kind can be gently heated and bent
into shape?) and won't fit neatly against the vertical carpet on the
stair riser anyway.

I think I should be able to cut the laminate to a matching curve and
trim the carpet back so that the edge of the laminate floor is
recessed under the edge of the carpet. I may have to move any grippers
up slightly but that should be easy. Is that the best way or is there
a trick I haven't thought of?

Thoughts/hints/experiences welcomed.

Si

You make a paper template and use that to mark the laminate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2016 07:00, harry wrote:
[...]

Laminate flooring is designed to float.

What do you do with the gap that will undoubtedly grow?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 23:00:24 -0700, harry wrote:

[...]

He's probably just about finished now after 11 years!

--
TOJ.