al

Default Radiator measurements

I want to replace some of my rads but am confused about the measurements.
The units I have are quite small and old. The one in my hallway for example
is 600mm wide across the actual body, but 700mm across from the extremity of
each tap/joint/whatever you call it just before where it meets the
T-junction for the house pipes.

Looking on Screwfix, the widths available are 300mm, 500mm and 600mm. It
also seems like those radiators are the same width body as the place where
the pipe would join, unless there's something you screw in that makes up the
distance ..?

I'm confused - what should I be measuring? Also, does anyone have a good
recommendation for a web-guide to replacing rads? I'm going to get help
from a mate putting a new one in where the pipes need cutting, but was
hoping to do straightforward direct replacement myself before going as far
as draining the system.

al wrote:
I want to replace some of my rads but am confused about the

measurements.
The units I have are quite small and old. The one in my hallway for

example
is 600mm wide across the actual body, but 700mm across from the

extremity of
each tap/joint/whatever you call it just before where it meets the
T-junction for the house pipes.

Looking on Screwfix, the widths available are 300mm, 500mm and 600mm.

It
also seems like those radiators are the same width body as the place

where
the pipe would join, unless there's something you screw in that makes

up the
distance ..?

The bits that screw in the radiator are part of the valve rather than
being part of the rad so the width you want in your case is 600. When
you put new valves on really make sure they've sealed properly!

I'm confused - what should I be measuring? Also, does anyone have a

good
recommendation for a web-guide to replacing rads? I'm going to get

help
from a mate putting a new one in where the pipes need cutting, but

was
hoping to do straightforward direct replacement myself before going

as far
as draining the system.

Close off the valve at each end, drain the rad in whatever way,
disconnect the valve from the rad at the obvious joint, carefully
remove rad. Now either remove the other part of the rad valve from the
old rad or get a new one and put it in the new rad. Refitting is the
reverse of removal etc.

al

wrote in message
oups.com...
The bits that screw in the radiator are part of the valve rather than
being part of the rad so the width you want in your case is 600. When
you put new valves on really make sure they've sealed properly!

I took out the radiator today. The only thing "in" the radiator that looks
like I can remove it is about 1cm worth of pipe going into the side of if
(with the locknut around it). Looks like it would probably only extend into
the radiator about another 1-2cm, which is a pretty small amount. Makes me
think a 600mm new one would be too narrow ... however there doesn't appear
to be a 700mm or 650mm standard size.

I've uploaded a couple of (bad!) pics below:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hall1.JPG
http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hall3.JPG

Sorry about the exposure ... a lot of bright white surfaces taken with a
flash on a cheap camera! The conical parts going into the main radiator
body are fixed parts of it, not removable. Will a 600mm rad really fit with
just those little other bits in it?

basil

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:27:47 GMT, "al"
wrote:
however there doesn't appear
to be a 700mm or 650mm standard size.

I've uploaded a couple of (bad!) pics below:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hall1.JPG
http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hall3.JPG

Sorry about the exposure ... a lot of bright white surfaces taken with a
flash on a cheap camera! The conical parts going into the main radiator
body are fixed parts of it, not removable. Will a 600mm rad really fit with
just those little other bits in it?

if the pipes wont flex enough to fit you can use extenders like:

I'd replace the valves aswell, it looks like the old ones have been
painted over some.
al

"basil" wrote in message
if the pipes wont flex enough to fit you can use extenders like:

I'd replace the valves aswell, it looks like the old ones have been
painted over some.

Are those extenders horizontal pieces that fit directly into the radiator at
one end and the screw-fit face of the vertical heating pipe at the other
(sorry about the nomenclature, no idea what to call these bits!)?

The valves (and pipes) are quite nasty. However I'd have to drain the
system to do that wouldn't I? Think I'll just sand down and re-paint.

basil

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:01:00 GMT, "al"
wrote:

Are those extenders horizontal pieces that fit directly into the radiator at
one end and the screw-fit face of the vertical heating pipe at the other
(sorry about the nomenclature, no idea what to call these bits!)?

The ones from Wickes are! The nut on the valve (I think its called 3/4
inch BSP ) which holds the current tail is passed over the new tail
which is then screwed directly to the radiator with some ptfe tape on
the thread. You then screw the nut back to the valve and thats it.
Looking at your pictures I think you probably have the right size nuts
on your valves.

Looking at the screwfix ones I cant make out how they attach.

the one at the bottom of this page looks like the Wickes ones I have;
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ves/d20/sd2762

The valves (and pipes) are quite nasty. However I'd have to drain the
system to do that wouldn't I? Think I'll just sand down and re-paint.

I agree...