al

Default Radiator measurements

I want to replace some of my rads but am confused about the measurements.
The units I have are quite small and old. The one in my hallway for example
is 600mm wide across the actual body, but 700mm across from the extremity of
each tap/joint/whatever you call it just before where it meets the
T-junction for the house pipes.

Looking on Screwfix, the widths available are 300mm, 500mm and 600mm. It
also seems like those radiators are the same width body as the place where
the pipe would join, unless there's something you screw in that makes up the
distance ..?

I'm confused - what should I be measuring? Also, does anyone have a good
recommendation for a web-guide to replacing rads? I'm going to get help
from a mate putting a new one in where the pipes need cutting, but was
hoping to do straightforward direct replacement myself before going as far
as draining the system.