AK

Default Problems with LV lighting

My house is 2 1/2 years old - I have LV halogen lighting in my kitchen, 8
lights in all. Each light has it's own transformer. On one light the
transformer keep failing, I have just replaced it for the 4th time in 2
years. What could be the reason for this? I am using transformers from
Screwfix and I was wondering whether I needed better quality ones (if so
which?). I was also wondering if I would be better just removing all the
transformers and putting in mains halogen light fittings instead. I presume
that would be quite simple as each has it's own transformer or is there
something I need to consider?

Angela

Andrew McKay

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:30:25 -0000, "AK"
wrote:

My house is 2 1/2 years old - I have LV halogen lighting in my kitchen, 8
lights in all. Each light has it's own transformer. On one light the
transformer keep failing, I have just replaced it for the 4th time in 2
years. What could be the reason for this? I am using transformers from
Screwfix and I was wondering whether I needed better quality ones (if so
which?). I was also wondering if I would be better just removing all the
transformers and putting in mains halogen light fittings instead. I presume
that would be quite simple as each has it's own transformer or is there
something I need to consider?

Is this transformer perhaps located somewhere where it is getting too
hot? I am guessing but perhaps there's something environmental about
that particular transformer which doesn't affect the others.

Andrew

John Rumm

AK wrote:

which?). I was also wondering if I would be better just removing all the
transformers and putting in mains halogen light fittings instead. I presume
that would be quite simple as each has it's own transformer or is there
something I need to consider?

The transformer should not be that unreliable, which suggests a problem
with the way it is installed (probably overheating as Andy suggested).
Check it has enough air space round it and it is not wrapped in
insulation etc.

You did not mention if you have also replaced the bulb in question. If
that has remained the same it might be worth doing that... Check also
the type of bulb, since using A dichroic lamp in lamp fitting not
designed for it will result in the fitting getting hotter than expected.

I would not swap LV for mains halogen - the quality of the light is not
as nice (less "white") and you will just be replacing bulbs every five
minutes instead.

--
Cheers,

John.

AK wrote:
My house is 2 1/2 years old - I have LV halogen lighting in my

kitchen, 8
lights in all. Each light has it's own transformer. On one light

the
transformer keep failing, I have just replaced it for the 4th time in

2
years. What could be the reason for this? I am using transformers

from
Screwfix and I was wondering whether I needed better quality ones (if

so
which?). I was also wondering if I would be better just removing all

the
transformers and putting in mains halogen light fittings instead.

no way, Lv has every advantage over mains halogen. Including far less
premature bulb failure problems. If you had mains in there this would
be happening with 5 of them, not 1.

NT