Lobster

Default Sticking down exterior slate tile

A few months ago I laid some slate tiles outside on a mortar bed, and
unfortunately one has lifted. Underneath the mortar bed is completely
flat and undamaged, and I'd like to be able to just stick the tile back
down with something, rather than hack out the old mortar (no doubt
having to disturb the surrounding tiles too) and replace it - with the
risk it'll probably lift again anyway?

Any thoughts as to suitable adhesive? Or is it Portland Time?

Thanks
David
chris French

In message , Lobster
writes
A few months ago I laid some slate tiles outside on a mortar bed, and
unfortunately one has lifted. Underneath the mortar bed is completely
flat and undamaged, and I'd like to be able to just stick the tile back
down with something, rather than hack out the old mortar (no doubt
having to disturb the surrounding tiles too) and replace it - with the
risk it'll probably lift again anyway?

Any thoughts as to suitable adhesive? Or is it Portland Time?

I'd try with a 'No More Nails' type adhesive. A solvent based one is
probably better outside.

Did this when a slate tile in my dads conservatory came loose. It worked
fine there. I don't know how it would hold up ouside, but probably last
while. If it comes loose again in couple of years well, you haven't lost
anything.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Josey

"chris French" wrote in message

I'd try with a 'No More Nails' type adhesive. A solvent based one is
probably better outside.

Or epoxy.

DIYSOS

Dare I suggest car body filler?

DIYSOS

Lobster

Josey wrote:
"chris French" wrote in message

I'd try with a 'No More Nails' type adhesive. A solvent based one is
probably better outside.

Or epoxy.

Thanks for the replies.
I'd considered both epoxy and No Nails as possibilities, I must admit:
which do we think would be likely to last longer (or any other
suggestions?)?

I appreciate either of these is a bit of a bodge, but as Chris says, if
it lasts a couple of years (by which time I'll know if I have a general
problem with other tiles) that's fine by me!

David

[news]

Lobster wrote:
A few months ago I laid some slate tiles outside on a mortar bed, and
unfortunately one has lifted. Underneath the mortar bed is completely
flat and undamaged, and I'd like to be able to just stick the tile back
down with something, rather than hack out the old mortar (no doubt
having to disturb the surrounding tiles too) and replace it - with the
risk it'll probably lift again anyway?

Any thoughts as to suitable adhesive? Or is it Portland Time?

Thanks
David

Leadmate might be worth a try. http://tinyurl.com/5ocux

versatile stuff, sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, frostproof
and good for '25 years' whatever that means. still a bodge, tho.

RT

tony sayer

In article , Josey
writes

"chris French" wrote in message

I'd try with a 'No More Nails' type adhesive. A solvent based one is
probably better outside.

Or epoxy.

Bodged one, only temp of course!, with silicone sealer on a friends
house eight odd years ago, still there and held in place fine)
--
Tony Sayer

Peter Taylor

"Lobster" wrote in message
A few months ago I laid some slate tiles outside on a mortar bed, and
unfortunately one has lifted. Underneath the mortar bed is completely
flat and undamaged, and I'd like to be able to just stick the tile back
down with something, rather than hack out the old mortar (no doubt
having to disturb the surrounding tiles too) and replace it - with the
risk it'll probably lift again anyway?

Any thoughts as to suitable adhesive? Or is it Portland Time?

Thanks
David

What's the problem in doing it properly, with a pourable grout mix of water and
neat cement ?

Lobster

Peter Taylor wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

What's the problem in doing it properly, with a pourable grout mix of water and
neat cement ?

Well OK... I've never heard of using water and neat cement; is that a
tried and tested method for a job like this?

David
Peter Taylor

"Lobster" wrote in message
Peter Taylor wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

What's the problem in doing it properly, with a pourable grout mix of water

and
neat cement ?

Well OK... I've never heard of using water and neat cement; is that a
tried and tested method for a job like this?

Absolutely. Mix water and cement to make a grout the consistency of custard -
you only need half a cupful for one tile It's the proper way to lay quarry
tiles, using a watering can to pour the grout into the joints. Leave it 48
hours or more to set before walking on it and it will be stuck rock hard for
ever.

The Natural Philosopher

Lobster wrote:

A few months ago I laid some slate tiles outside on a mortar bed, and
unfortunately one has lifted. Underneath the mortar bed is completely
flat and undamaged, and I'd like to be able to just stick the tile back
down with something, rather than hack out the old mortar (no doubt
having to disturb the surrounding tiles too) and replace it - with the
risk it'll probably lift again anyway?

Any thoughts as to suitable adhesive? Or is it Portland Time?

Thanks
David

Car body filler or epoxy