Pete

Default Source for black matt plastic 1m x 8-10cm wide

Have posted previously, looking for a source of black matt plastic 1m x
8-10cm wide. Suggestion was signwriting or RS Components.

Cant find anything suitable in the RS site. Been to a couple of signwriting
shops, without sucess.

Any other suggestions. Alternative plan is to use aluminium sheet, and spray
black.

After years of thinking about it! Ive finally decided to build a new hood
for the aquarium (never happy with the original and have never finalised
the
design of the replacement untill now), rather than use wood (and the issues
with moisture etc ) I have decided to keep to plastic as the original is.

I have worked out the design is but I am unsure where to source the
materials. This would need to be matt black (original has a matt "rough"
design)

For the hood facings I require a small supply (about 3 pcs) of flat acrylic
strip, about 8-10cm wide and about 1m long. Thickness is not critical, so
about 2-3mm should do. Plus the lids, which would be (2pc) about 1m long,
and 15cm wide.

Ideally I could also do with a with a piece of "square" acrylic bar, size
not too important for the internal frame (lip), something around 10mm
square
should do it (colour not important as it is unseen)

Can anyone suggest a supplier or source?

A local signwriting firm or RS Components

Grunff

http://rswww.com/ 438-6370 or 680-741

--
Grunff
Ian Stirling

Pete wrote:
Have posted previously, looking for a source of black matt plastic 1m x
8-10cm wide. Suggestion was signwriting or RS Components.

Cant find anything suitable in the RS site. Been to a couple of signwriting
shops, without sucess.

Any other suggestions. Alternative plan is to use aluminium sheet, and spray
black.

Focus/B&Q.
Obtain a sheet of acrylic, sand, paint black.
Charles Fearnley

"Pete" wrote in message
Have posted previously, looking for a source of black matt plastic 1m x
8-10cm wide. Suggestion was signwriting or RS Components.

Cant find anything suitable in the RS site. Been to a couple of

signwriting
shops, without sucess.

Any other suggestions. Alternative plan is to use aluminium sheet, and

spray
black.

Perspex (trade named acrylic sheet) is available in all shades of grey from
light smoke to black, in 3mm sheet. AFAIK it's always shiny, but acrylic is
easy to refinish with wet and dry paper for polishing. If you only use the
finest grade of wet and dry, used wet, it should be possible to get an even
matt finish on black sheet.

It's glueable, and reasonably easy to work with care.

The supplier I know is a plastics supplier in the Merton Road, SW London,
who will cut to size, but you should be able to find a plastics supplier
near you. It's also possible to get bar, rod and tube, but usually not in
colours.

Not sure if you have priced it, but this stuff is NOT cheap!

Charles F

Source for black matt acrylic sheet (small qty) Pete UK diy 1 March 13th 05 11:57 PM
UK source of 8-10mm O/d plastic pipe? MarkMc UK diy 12 March 13th 05 10:53 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
source for extra wide hand truck?? Jim Booth Metalworking 3 February 12th 04 08:54 PM
Looking for source for 1/2 inch wide MXL timing belts Mark Metalworking 3 August 14th 03 11:23 PM