raden

Default a sad loss, but do we have a discovery here ?

"http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4340115.stm

Irish comedian Dave Allen, famed for his TV routines delivered as he sat
on a stool, has died in his sleep aged 68.

He was most famous for his dry-humoured TV shows Tonight With Dave Allen
and Dave Allen at Large.

Allen got his first break on a BBC talent show in 1959, and toured with
the Beatles in the UK and France.

His agent said he died in his sleep on Thursday night at his home in
west London. He leaves a wife, Karin, and three children.

The BBC's head of comedy Jon Plowman called Allen a "wonderful comedian"
who would be sadly missed. "

No relation, or ... are we keeping it in the family ?

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
The BBC's head of comedy Jon Plowman called Allen a "wonderful comedian"
who would be sadly missed. "

No relation, or ... are we keeping it in the family ?

Heh heh, no. I'd actually say I knew Dave Allen better than Jon, since I
worked on his shows at both the BBC and Thames. But had to be careful
about keeping up with him in the bar afterwards. Lovely man.

I've never actually worked with Jon to the best of my knowledge - because
if I had I'd have like to find out if there was a family connection too.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tony Williams

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've never actually worked with Jon to the best of my knowledge -
because if I had I'd have like to find out if there was a family
connection too.

Did you ever work with the original Dr Who, Dave?
Was the actor's name William Hartnell?

I've heard some not-very-nice things about him
on another ng.... also from an ex-BBC sound man
afair.

--
Tony Williams.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tony Williams wrote:
I've never actually worked with Jon to the best of my knowledge -
because if I had I'd have like to find out if there was a family
connection too.

Did you ever work with the original Dr Who, Dave?
Was the actor's name William Hartnell?

Yup - Ep1, and then many many others. And I well remember the crew
discussing the first day in the bar, and the universal view was that it
would flop...

I've heard some not-very-nice things about him
on another ng.... also from an ex-BBC sound man
afair.

He was certainly rather grumpy.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Stumbles

Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've heard some not-very-nice things about him
on another ng.... also from an ex-BBC sound man
afair.

He was certainly rather grumpy.

Partly his charm wasn't it? I liked the fact that he was a grump old
bugger. On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention is to
people of a female biological nature, that is

Mary Fisher

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've heard some not-very-nice things about him
on another ng.... also from an ex-BBC sound man
afair.

He was certainly rather grumpy.

Partly his charm wasn't it? I liked the fact that he was a grump old
bugger. On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention is to
people of a female biological nature, that is

er - translation please?

:-)

Mary

Harvey Van Sickle

On 13 Mar 2005, Mary Fisher wrote
Steve Firth wrote:

On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than
avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention
is to people of a female biological nature, that is

er - translation please?

:-)

I think the technical translation is "hubba hubba"....

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Mary Fisher

Steve Firth wrote:

On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than
avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention
is to people of a female biological nature, that is

er - translation please?

:-)

I think the technical translation is "hubba hubba"....

er ... ?

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Harvey Van Sickle

Steve Firth wrote:

On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than
avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention
is to people of a female biological nature, that is

er - translation please?

-)

I think the technical translation is "hubba hubba"....

er ... ?

Oh, sorry: the modern UK version is "phwaooor". (Not sure of the
spelling of that.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
Partly his charm wasn't it? I liked the fact that he was a grump old
bugger. On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention is to
people of a female biological nature, that is

And about that time they had Jamie? in a kilt to cater for the rest? ;-)

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mary Fisher

Steve Firth wrote:

On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than
avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention
is to people of a female biological nature, that is

er - translation please?

-)

I think the technical translation is "hubba hubba"....

er ... ?

Oh, sorry: the modern UK version is "phwaooor". (Not sure of the
spelling of that.)

Oh, I think you've lost the plot. I'd worked out that you meant men ...

Mary

--
Cheers,
Harvey

S Viemeister

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
Partly his charm wasn't it? I liked the fact that he was a grump old
bugger. On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

[1] ObPC: er, everyone who's gender-specific-attraction-oriention is to
people of a female biological nature, that is

And about that time they had Jamie? in a kilt to cater for the rest? ;-)

That kilted character inspired a series of novels, the first 5? of which
have all made various best-seller lists.
(Nothing to do with Dr Who, though.)

Sheila

Mike

Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've heard some not-very-nice things about him
on another ng.... also from an ex-BBC sound man
afair.

He was certainly rather grumpy.

Partly his charm wasn't it? I liked the fact that he was a grump old
bugger. On the BBC DVD release of the Daleks in London episodes it's
hinted at that his interest in "Susan" was slightly more than avuncular.

Well I think everyone[1] else's was, so why not? :-)

Nah. Leia (sp ?) was the most interesting.

Of K9 if you're that way inclined :-)