TheScullster

Default Hang Joists from Steel Beam - Lintel Design

Sorry this is a bit long!

I am looking to take an internal wall out of the kitchen.
The wall is about 3/4 of the way down the length of the kitchen and provides
support for a joint in the ceiling joists. This is a single storey
extension, so the joists form part of the roof timber construction. The
roof is purpose built and not pre-fab'd A frame, so it has 2 angled beams
across the width of the roof space providing intermediate support for
rafters. Also it has 2 longitudinal tie beams going the length of the roof
space.
I have seen this style of roof before and believe it was common before the
introduction of the pre-made A frames.

I have had some plan designers in to draw up the general alterations, but
the details for the support of the joists was a bit sketchy. They mentioned
joist hangers to suspend the timber joist joint from a steel beam installed
in the roof space above the existing wall location.

The questions:

Does anyone have a link to pictures/suppliers of these hangers? I have
searched and searched without success!
Will this beam be carrying anything other than the weight of the ceiling and
ceiling timbers?

TIA

Phil

Cicero

"TheScullster" phil-at-dropthespam.com wrote in message
[...]

=============
Look here for some good detail: http://www.expamet.co.uk/bp/list8.html

Cic.

TheScullster

Cic

Thanks for link, but this doesn't show the case proposed by plan designers.
They are suggesting a steel I-beam above, with the supported timber joists
at 90 degrees to this. Therefore hangers need to go over steel then hang
down to pick up overlapping joint in joists

Phil

Tony Bryer

In article , TheScullster wrote:
Thanks for link, but this doesn't show the case proposed by plan
designers. They are suggesting a steel I-beam above, with the
supported timber joists at 90 degrees to this. Therefore hangers
need to go over steel then hang down to pick up overlapping joint
in joists

The usual arrangement IME is to bolt timber fillers either side of
the beam web (size will depend on the steel) and nail long tail
joist hangers to them, tails taken over the top and ends nailed to
the other side. Hnager such as

Cicero

"TheScullster" phil-at-dropthespam.com wrote in message
Cic

Thanks for link, but this doesn't show the case proposed by plan

designers.
They are suggesting a steel I-beam above, with the supported timber joists
at 90 degrees to this. Therefore hangers need to go over steel then hang
down to pick up overlapping joint in joists

Phil

===========
I can't really picture what you're looking for but I thought the 'Long leg
speedy' would meet your requirements. However, joist hangers are very much a
standard item so it might be worth doing a simple 'mock-up' and taking it to
a local builders' merchants to see what they advise.

Cic.

TheScullster

Thanks Tony

Yes that looks like it would work, just 2 issues:

1) I would have thought it would have been better practice to support the
joists at the break point (ie where they overlap above existing support
wall). This would mean the hanger supporting two joist thicknesses.

2) How are these fitted under in-place joists?

Thanks again

Phil

Tony Bryer

In article , TheScullster wrote:
1) I would have thought it would have been better practice to
support the joists at the break point (ie where they overlap above
existing support wall). This would mean the hanger supporting two
joist thicknesses.

2) How are these fitted under in-place joists?

I missed the original post so may have answered a question you
weren't answering. If you're needing to pick up existing joists
there are nailing plates available from good builders merchants or
timber yards that will do this, but you should use the appropriate
(twisted or ring shank) nails with them.

Lobster

TheScullster wrote:

I have had some plan designers in to draw up the general alterations, but
the details for the support of the joists was a bit sketchy. They mentioned
joist hangers to suspend the timber joist joint from a steel beam installed
in the roof space above the existing wall location.

I've seen this done using an I-section RSJ, where the ends of the joists
just fit tightly between the top and bottom flanges of the "I", with a
notch cut out on the bottom face to accomodate the bottom flange, so
that plasterboard could be attached flush beneath. This was in a fairly
old property, seemed perfectly firm and rigid but don't know if it would
be compliant with current regs.

David