Tim Sampson

Default Source for US bolts?

Hi

I need to get some 3/6" x 6" bolts and I am told they are 'UNC', whatever
that means. Does anyone have a source for US size bolts?

Thanks
Tim

Tim Sampson

Dave Baker wrote:

Wash your bloody mouth out son! UNC - Unified National Coarse -
British through and through. Nothing to do with yanks. You mean 3/8"
I presume not 3/6". Go to a nut and bolt stockist same as all the
other bolt queries this group seems to produce.

Yes, I meant 3/8", it is very hot, you know :-)

I thought hey, nuts and bolts = Screwfix, but no - metric only (or am I
missing something?)

At least you didn't say "Google is your friend".

Cheers
Tim

Steven Pilbeam

"Tim Sampson" wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:

Wash your bloody mouth out son! UNC - Unified National Coarse -
British through and through. Nothing to do with yanks. You mean 3/8"
I presume not 3/6". Go to a nut and bolt stockist same as all the
other bolt queries this group seems to produce.

Yes, I meant 3/8", it is very hot, you know :-)

I thought hey, nuts and bolts = Screwfix, but no - metric only (or am I
missing something?)

At least you didn't say "Google is your friend".

Cheers
Tim

Any good http://www.namrick.co.uk ?

Dave Baker

Subject: Source for US bolts?
From: "Roger Mills"
Date: 06/08/03 22:27 GMT Daylight Time

From: "Tim Sampson"

Date: 06/08/03 21:41 GMT Daylight Time
Hi

I need to get some 3/6" x 6" bolts and I am told they are 'UNC', whatever
that means. Does anyone have a source for US size bolts?

Wash your bloody mouth out son! UNC - Unified National Coarse - British

through
and through. Nothing to do with yanks. You mean 3/8" I presume not 3/6".

Go to
a nut and bolt stockist same as all the other bolt queries this group

seems to
produce.

Unless I am mistaken, the differences between UNC and Whitworth are very
slight - the TPI is the same but the threadform is slightly different - but
for most purposes they are interchangeable.

Your original bolts may even be Whitworth - it isn't that easy to tell the
difference.

Whitworth (BSW) has a 55 degree thread form (as does BSF) and UNC and UNF have
a 60 degree one like metric bolts. The pitches are the same, apart from the
1/2" size for some arcane reason, but I wouldn't call them interchangeable
because only the right nuts will be a good fit. Anyway BSW bolts are pretty
rare these days although it's still a common thread for studding. A bolt will
almost certainly be UNC.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.
Neil

"Tim Sampson" wrote in message
Hi

I need to get some 3/6" x 6" bolts and I am told they are 'UNC', whatever
that means. Does anyone have a source for US size bolts?

Thanks
Tim

I believe that RS Components (rswww.com?) and Farnell (farnell.co.uk?) can
supply a selected range.
They may not have what you want, or the quantity, though ...
hth
Neil

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Tim Sampson" writes:
Hi

I need to get some 3/6" x 6" bolts and I am told they are 'UNC', whatever
that means. Does anyone have a source for US size bolts?

UNC -- Unified National Course
UNF -- Unified National Fine

I assume 3/6" is meant to be 3/16"?

Actually, the UK was partly responsible for these standards, but
didn't adopt them when they were finalised.

--
Andrew Gabriel

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Wash your bloody mouth out son! UNC - Unified National Coarse - British

through
and through. Nothing to do with yanks.

It is American Standard Coarse under a different name. Following
compatibility problems during WW2, Britain and the USA agreed to adopt a
unified thread system (UNC and UNF). However, as most of the hardware was
being built in the USA, what that actually meant was that Britain would
adopt the US system. Of course, they did not replace Whitworth and BSF, they
merely added to the range of choice available.

Colin Bignell

Essjay001

No ****, where?

I thought hey, nuts and bolts = Screwfix, but no - metric only (or am
I missing something?)

At least you didn't say "Google is your friend".

Cheers
Tim

--
Steve R

Essjay001

Roger Mills wrote:
snip

Your original bolts may even be Whitworth - it isn't that easy to
tell the difference.

It's marked on the head

Steve R
--
"Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect
for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you
have one!!!

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
UNC -- Unified National Course
UNF -- Unified National Fine

I assume 3/6" is meant to be 3/16"?

Actually, the UK was partly responsible for these standards, but
didn't adopt them when they were finalised.

They were common on UK made cars until the mid '80s.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Philip Stokes

Hello Neil, in message
on Wed, 6 Aug 2003 you wrote:
"Tim Sampson" wrote in message
Hi

I need to get some 3/6" x 6" bolts and I am told they are 'UNC', whatever
that means. Does anyone have a source for US size bolts?

Thanks
Tim

I believe that RS Components (rswww.com?) and Farnell (farnell.co.uk?) can
supply a selected range.
They may not have what you want, or the quantity, though ...

Look in your Yellow Pages for fastener and fixing merchants. Orbital
Fasteners in Rickmansworth, Herts have been very helpful in supplying
UNF/UNC nuts and bolts for a car restoration project of mine. More
obscure stuff I got from another supplier in Uxbridge, but their name
escapes me at the moment.

--
Phil