Dave Baker

Default Source for US bolts?

Subject: Source for US bolts?
From: "Roger Mills"
Date: 06/08/03 22:27 GMT Daylight Time

Dave Baker wrote in message
From: "Tim Sampson"

Date: 06/08/03 21:41 GMT Daylight Time
Hi

I need to get some 3/6" x 6" bolts and I am told they are 'UNC', whatever
that means. Does anyone have a source for US size bolts?

Wash your bloody mouth out son! UNC - Unified National Coarse - British

through
and through. Nothing to do with yanks. You mean 3/8" I presume not 3/6".

Go to
a nut and bolt stockist same as all the other bolt queries this group

seems to
produce.

Unless I am mistaken, the differences between UNC and Whitworth are very
slight - the TPI is the same but the threadform is slightly different - but
for most purposes they are interchangeable.

Your original bolts may even be Whitworth - it isn't that easy to tell the
difference.

Whitworth (BSW) has a 55 degree thread form (as does BSF) and UNC and UNF have
a 60 degree one like metric bolts. The pitches are the same, apart from the
1/2" size for some arcane reason, but I wouldn't call them interchangeable
because only the right nuts will be a good fit. Anyway BSW bolts are pretty
rare these days although it's still a common thread for studding. A bolt will
almost certainly be UNC.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.