MattP

Default self levelling floor liquid

Hi All

Am about to level my kitchen floor ready for laying laminate flooring.

I am about to use self levelling compound/liquid (it's only a small dip,
4mm, area 16" sq2).

I am going to pour it onto our exisiting floor tiles (big ugly terracota),
the q's are -

1. Do I need to score the tiles for some sort of fix
2. Can anyone recommend a product/brand for this
3. Are there any other special considerations e.g. water proofing, membrane?

Thanks for any responses.

Matt

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"MattP" {add mattspersonal before @} wrote in message
Hi All

Am about to level my kitchen floor ready for laying laminate flooring.

I am about to use self levelling compound/liquid (it's only a small dip,
4mm, area 16" sq2).

I am going to pour it onto our exisiting floor tiles (big ugly terracota),
the q's are -

1. Do I need to score the tiles for some sort of fix
2. Can anyone recommend a product/brand for this
3. Are there any other special considerations e.g. water proofing,

membrane?

Thanks for any responses.

Wickes levelling stuff is good and we didn't make any special preparations
for it except to remove the vinyl tiles that were down.

Just one piece of advice - add the right amount of water. Someone (not me!)
added too much on our first go because "That doesn't sound enough - I'll
stick a bit more in", and it looked like a swamp the next morning. I got
some more and mixed it properly and it set fine - nice and smooth. Pour it
on, spread it out, job's a good 'un.

Si

JT1uk

I made that mistake with our dining room floor!
What I am curious about in respect of removing vinyl tiles prior to screeding
is how important is it to remove traces of the bitumin-like adhesive from a
concrete surface. I had the devil of a job with the dining room, making only a
50/50 job of it with a flamethrower and scraper.

John
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"JT1uk" wrote in message
I made that mistake with our dining room floor!
What I am curious about in respect of removing vinyl tiles prior to

screeding
is how important is it to remove traces of the bitumin-like adhesive from

concrete surface. I had the devil of a job with the dining room, making

only a
50/50 job of it with a flamethrower and scraper.

When a job eventually makes you consider setting light to the house because
it'd be easier, it's time to just go for it, in my opinion. Removing floor
tile glue/bitumen is one of those jobs.
Nothing untoward has happened in the 5 years since I put the levelling
compound down and the ceramic tiles we laid over it haven't shown any signs
of movement.

Si

Mark S.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:26:10 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

[...]

I used Evostick, B&Q own brand and Wickes and the Wickes was the worst
of the lot and will have to come back up eventually... :-(

Mark S.