Stephen Jones

Default ScrewFix Airtec foil insulation

I have seen on the screwfix web site Airtec Double insulation which is
claimed to be equivalent to 55mm of polystrene. Has anybody any
experience of this product. I am thinking of using it under plaster
board for dry lining. I also found Foiltec which might me the same
stuff but cannot get hold of any technical information on either.
Thanks

Steve
Richard Tibbitt

(Stephen Jones) wrote:

I have seen on the screwfix web site Airtec Double insulation which is
claimed to be equivalent to 55mm of polystrene. Has anybody any
experience of this product. I am thinking of using it under plaster
board for dry lining. I also found Foiltec which might me the same
stuff but cannot get hold of any technical information on either.

I had a look at the Airtec stuff a few months ago with a view to using
it instead of polystyrene for insulating a shed/workshop. The only
useful info I found for it was here

http://www.brecertification.co.uk/pdf/Cert060.pdf

Needless to say Screwfix dont do the plastic clips or foil tape
referred to in the document - I guess you could get foil tape
elsewhere & use battens for spacing - it appears to need to be
stretched between the studs in the middle of the void to ensure at
least a 25mm air gap in front of it & behind it.

I couldnt find anyone who'd actually used it & commented on it or
recommended it on Google or Google Groups so I decided not to risk it
in the end, particularly as it would have cost a bit more than the
polystyrene as I would have ended up with half a roll left over for my
application, and it looked like it would take just as long to fit as
the poly.

HTH
Richard

Doctor Evil

"Richard Tibbitt" wrote in
message ...
(Stephen Jones) wrote:

[...]

They say equiv to 55mm of foam insulation. Selfbuild and Design mag recently
had an article on these radiant barriers, and found them to be falsely
claiming all sorts. It is not worth it. Using tape, it will make the place
air tight, that's all. So, may be worth it that way. Don't think you are
going to get great insulation, you will not, if at all. Just expensive
bubble wrap with foil over.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Richard Tibbitt

(Stephen Jones) wrote:

Thanks, Can you buy polystyrene on rolls and if so what thickness can
you get, where can you get it from and and at what sort of cost?

It usually comes as 8' x 4' sheets - I used Jablites Jabfloor 70 in
50mm & 100mm thicknesses £9.88+VAT & £19.77+VAT each respectively (for
a total order of 25 sheets - fewer sheets may be more expensive per
each) from Travis Perkins - but most any builders merchants should
have it or something similar.

Have a poke around here
http://www.trademate.co.uk/ (search on
jabfloor - but watch the prices - some of the sheets are priced per
square meter (M2) & are way more than you actually end up paying) to
give you an idea of the the thicknesses available - although anything
other than the common sizes (eg 25, 50, 75, 100) may be on a few
days/weeks delivery depending on the individual merchant.

HTH
Richard

Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Is it possible to find wire insulation faults without a visual exam? Home Builder Home Repair 6 March 12th 04 02:17 PM
Is it possible to find wire insulation faults without a visual exam? Home Builder Home Ownership 6 March 12th 04 02:17 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Best possible insulation for 2x4 walls? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 4 January 24th 04 11:40 AM